PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Issues?

mufty
02-11-2003, 02:19 PM
This is a background image for a logo competition I entered a few days ago. The theme of the site that the logo is for is relationships, hence the poses of the models. I tried to make the models of each sex as simple as possible, so I just bevelled a box into a cone shape.

The problem is that the models look exactly like the "Coney" character in the "Kory's Lighting Tips" tutorial on the Lightwave 3D site. This wasn't intentional, but I remembered this evening that I'd seen that tutorial before and I thought I'd check it for similarities. The models are almost identical :o

Anyway, my question is: Would copyright issues arise from this, and should I withdraw my entry?

Here's the image

http://sparc.homestead.com/files/Logo.jpg

Thanks for your time :)

JVitale
02-11-2003, 07:40 PM
I really doubt it...Cone shapes that symbolize male and female figures are too generic a design to infringe on copyright. The only way you would have a problem is if the design concept as a whole (the sum of all its parts) is too similar to another design concept....

mufty
02-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks for your reply. I considered the generic aspect of the design, but I thought I'd better check. I'm new to LightWave (and 3D design in general) and that logo was my first attempt at a semi-serious project.