TheDynamo
05-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Right now at home I'm running this kind of computer:

Athlon 1800+
512 MB PC 2100 DDR Ram
Nvidia Ti440 Video Card
80GB HDD
Windows XP Home

I'm going to be getting my new copy of LW8 next week sometime (I hope, I hope, I hope) and I wonder if I should buy a new computer to go with it. My Limit (not including monitor) should not be more than $1K. Good news is that all this is in preparation for a project involving a series of documentaries that will more than pay for it. Right now though.... I'm poor when it comes to the hardware budget especially when it comes to convincing the fiancee that I need this :P I can build my own comp.

Here's what I have in mind

Athlon 64 2800+ (or 3000+)
(I would like to buy an Opteron but the MB are pricey)
1 GB 400Mhz DDR SDRAM
ATI 9600XT Video Card
SATA 120/160 GB HDD
Windows XP Home?

===edit===

Here's what I got:

Athlon XP 3000+
1 GB 400MHz DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
Ultra ATA 120GB HDD 8MB Cache
8X DVD-/+R
Windows XP Home

-Rob

knuckles644
05-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Looks good, although you may want to consider spending a bit more and getting a 9800 Pro. The Sapphires are only $200 at the moment. You could also wait for the 6800 non-ultra, and either get that or a 5900 since they will drop in price. nVidia cards are generally better at OpenGL based applications than the Radeon line of cards.

It is not likely that you will NEED a DVD burner. CDs can store about 800 megs which is enough for most projects. My largest project was the Globe Theater, I had 65 objects, 74 textures, and numerous scenes and renders saved into my project folder and it just surpassed 300 MB.

TheDynamo
05-25-2004, 05:48 PM
Well, there is the small detail of wanting to be able to make demo reels from the computer with the DVD burner ;) I'll be upgrading my After Effects to 6.5 Pro eventually and if Encore is on sale at the same time I would like to snag it.

Yeah the 9800 pro looks like a good card as well, I was thinking I might want to get one of the lower end Fire GL cards instead but I am known to play a game or two on the puter ;).

You don't think I should get one of the newer Prescott CPU's? There are tons of chipsets out there for em and I'm going to do some research on which one I should get.

-Rob

knuckles644
05-25-2004, 05:53 PM
I would get a Northwood if I were to go Intel. Prescotts just get really hot and don't provide much over the Northwood line. In this line of work Intel and AMD are usually pretty even. I would suspect AMD would help at the real time display of your models and Intel would help in the rendering department due to the differences in their internal architecture (AMD has shorter pipelines for small bits of code and Intel the opposite).

And for DVD burners...Lite-On. They are good burners under $100.

Cageman
05-26-2004, 06:19 AM
A nice computer indeed! I got an LG 4081B DVD burner, which also handles DVD-RAM. My suggestion is that you get a burner that can handle RAM-media because itīs said to be the safest way to store and archive data, compared to other CD or DVD media. You can read a review of LG GSA-4082B burner here. (http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=9603) The price for this burner is less than $80 here in Sweden.

EDIT: The price is for the bulk version, the retail costs around $100.

TheDynamo
05-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Woof, man I'm having a heck of a time getting the price below $1000. I might have to skimp a bit on the motherboard (planning on an ASUS deluxe but $129 a board hurts a bit). I sure wish I didn't buy the cheap Motherboard I have now, I could upgrade to a better XP without going through all this new hardware stuff :P

The video card I'm looking at now is the ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR from Sapphire.

-Rob

TheDynamo
06-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Here's what I got:

Athlon XP 3000+
1 GB 400MHz DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
Ultra ATA 120GB HDD 8MB Cache
8X DVD-/+R
Windows XP Home

-Rob

knuckles644
06-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Looks like a great system. I have a 2500+ myself, overclocked to 2.3 GHz :) You definitely get a lot of bang for your buck with AMD:cool:

jgaris
06-04-2004, 07:34 AM
I would say that if you want to make Lightwave quicker and easier to work with, you should forget about some of that hardware and spend your money on FPrime! It's the easiest way to speed up your production pipeline.

Lottmedia
06-04-2004, 09:02 AM
So you're really attatched to that ATI card, hu? Someone else said it but I would consider the Nvidia again. ATI is great for games, but Nvidia tends to do better with graphics stiff. (I actually switched to Nvidia after a lot of problems with ATI with Combustion and After Effects. and stayed with them ever since) Remember we're talking about consumer cards here too, ATI's FireGL is another story (and another price bracket) but I would still go with the Nvidia QuadroFX. Anyway, just some thoughts from my experience.