PDA

View Full Version : New Lightwave 8 Tour!

SplineGod
05-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Hey everyone, for anyone that didn't know, I am taking over LearnLightwave.com from Lee. During the transition period I am going to be working with Lee on the ins and outs of doing Seminars since Lee has done this for years. Since Lee is also very familiar with Lightwave and an excellent instructor he will also be doing some of the teaching as well. With Lee retiring from the training business it leaves a big gap. Organizing these events is not somethign Ive done before and Lee has agreed to get me up to speed on this. Lee has told me that he hates to see these Seminars just go away.

Im announcing a new training tour and some initial info is there now, with more coming.
This will be a tour with less cities, and so far the US cities are NY, Boston, Washington DC, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, LA, & San Francisco.
This is a replacement for Lee's Learning Launch tour which was postponed by the delay of LW8 - if you have questions qabout Lee's old seminars, he asks that you email him directly...he cant respond on this forum.

More details soon, and you can sign up now at http://www.learnlightwave.com

Announcing A Brand New Tour : LightWave 3D : 7, 8, and Beyond

A New LightWave Training Tour From Larry Shultz, Also Featuring Lee Stranahan

Do you want to learn the latest LightWave techniques for modeling, lighting, character animation, texturing and more in LightWave 7.5 and the newest version of LightWave[8]?

Then you’ll want to attend one of our new one day seminars on the LightWave 3D : 7, 8, And Beyond! Tour.

It’s a one day class for users at all levels, where you’ll learn insider tricks and techniques for getting the most out of LightWave 3D. This class is great whether you use LightWave 7.5 or the new LightWave[8] and will feature material on all aspects of the software. New software updates means new training, and this class covers the newest techniques including...

Understanding LightWave's IK system - and how LightWave[8]'s new IK Booster fits into things. (We really know, too!)
Modeling techniques that will save you time.
Dynamics including cloth and rigid bodies.
Hidden functions and keys that you must know about.
The hottest LightWave plug-ins - and which ones are worth the money... and more!

This one day seminar is priced at only $159 (and only $139 with early registration!) and will include hours of material on CD to help you retain what you learn.

· Full Day Of The World’s Best LightWave Training
· Q & A Lunch: You’re welcome to bring a lunch or order one and hang out with the instructors and other students during the lunch hour and get more information
· CD Full Of Brand New Instructional Materials

This training event will cover everything from dynamics to character animation to ways to really improve workflow in LightWave[8]. Whether you’re a hobbyist or a working professional, you’ll benefit from this seminar and get your questions answered and problems solved.

ned
05-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Short notice for those of us who have to travel. Less than 3 weeks.

John Fornasar
05-25-2004, 03:40 PM
I've always had a positive experience at Lee's seminars.

Just received Lee's email. Will definitely take a NY seat again... will speak to the budgetgod tomorrow.

(and if the beancounters won't front the bucks, I'll do it myself - definitely worthwhile)

John

SplineGod
05-25-2004, 07:35 PM
ned,
I understand, I apologize but its hard to schedule sometimes around our own schedules. Where are you coming from?

Thanks John! :)

Meaty
05-25-2004, 10:34 PM
Hey, Larry!! Coming to DC! Hopefully my boss will pop for the seminar!

SLAYER
05-25-2004, 10:34 PM
Hey Larry,
You mention Seattle here and in the e-,ail I received, but when I go to the site, there is no date yet for Seattle.

Do you know when this is going to take place?

mokba
05-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Larry, I still haven't received a refund for the Denver stop of the last Lightwave tour. Do you think there is any chance that might happen now that this tour will generate some funds? mokba

SplineGod
05-25-2004, 10:46 PM
The pacific northwest will definately be done...Not sure if it will be portland, seattle or both. Im guessing about july or so. :)

mokba,
Im from Albuquerque myself. Im interested in Denver - Alb or something along those lines. This is something I need to hash out with Lee. I do not want to get into a situation where cancellations have to be made due to low signups. Im going to be very careful about how I approach this. These seminars have to at least pay for themselves. Sometimes people sign up, then cancel or decide to pay at the door. This makes it hard for use to determine what to do and it affects others. If theres a user group up in the Denver area that would be a good way to get some ppl to show. :)

adrian
05-26-2004, 02:58 AM
I don't suppose you'll ever be coming over to the UK?

Or maybe I should ask that in a less sarcastic way: Is there a chance you will ever come to the UK??!!! (even if you charge more)

Adrian.

SplineGod
05-26-2004, 03:11 AM
Adrian.
Believe me, Id love to. :)

Lee really knows how to set these things up. Im really a babe in the woods when it comes to the logistics of setting these things up. Im going to be very cautious at first simply because this last go around there werent many sign ups and Lee ended up having to refund (or try to refund) money to people in cities that had low sign ups, or people signing up and then not paying or sleeping out of his Van and not having the money cover other things.
With LW 8 out things could be different but watching what Lee went thru didnt fill me with warm fuzzies. :)
Im going to see how it goes with fewer cities at first. If I see any sign of this turning into a situation where people will potentially be pissed off or me sleeping in cars I will reire from this like Lee did.
I would like to see more participation from user groups and such to get ppl signed up and get the word out. Im also open to any advice or suggestions. :)

problemchild
05-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Shucks,

love to attend after to listening to the both of you at SIGGRAPH last year, but as luck wouldn't have it, I'm in Washington on the 14, BUT BUSY doing what I'm supposed to be doing in Washington. Too bad it's not the 16th! I mean, how often does a guy in Alaska just miss the opportunity.

SplineGod
05-26-2004, 01:38 PM
problemchild,
how difficult is it for you to attend something down in washington state?

problemchild
05-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Not too difficult, usually a few (hundred) bucks, but more importantly, multiple reasons coinciding, which often works quite well. I'll see when you post the Seattle date and see if the timing works generally for me to schedule a couple other reasons to be in town as well. In the meantime I'll bum more advice off Albee.

Course, love to see something roundabout SIGGRAPH again, maybe on the saturday before or friday after.

cheers

danilo
05-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Count on me in NY city.
danilo

Vincent Brumbac
05-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Phoenix please.

Vincent D. Brumback

3danim8d
05-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Larry,

It's great to see you talking over Lee's seminars. Please include Albuquerque in your list of destinations.

Jeff

SplineGod
05-26-2004, 11:04 PM
Well I have a soft spot for albuquerque.
One thing that would be nice is to have a contact in each of these places who could do a little poking around and see how much interest there would be. :)

3danim8d
05-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Hi Larry,

You could contact me or the guys over at TVI and we'd be happy to try and figure out how interested people here are in the seminars.

Jeff

SplineGod
05-27-2004, 06:03 PM
I will do so. I definately want to do one back home :)

Verlon
05-28-2004, 01:09 AM
let me know when you want to do one in the San Antonio/Austin area. You know where San Antonio is, right? Its that large chunk of land surrounding Newtek's home office.

I can't believe how hard it is to find a user group or ANYTHING where I live..

SplineGod
05-28-2004, 08:42 PM
I would love to. If theres enough of an interest Ill certainly consider it. :)

jacross
07-21-2004, 12:56 PM
I'm not quite sure what's happened (I'll leave it to Larry and Lee to provide the details if they so choose), but it appears that this tour is a "no-go". I signed up for the Seattle location coming up this Saturday, and after waiting for official word on where the seminar will be located, I received an email from Larry letting me know that it's been cancelled. Larry also indicated in his email that in all probability the entire tour is cancelled, not just the Seattle location. Just a heads up to those of you who have signed up for another date and time.

Again, I'm not complaining, this stuff happens... I just hope that there will be another tour scheduled in the future.

SplineGod
07-21-2004, 04:19 PM
That is correct. Any further tours are a no go. Some seminars here or there are still possible. After being involved with doing a tour Ive decided its way too much work to set up, organize and execute properly. I now understand why Lee decided to get out of it.
This type of thing is best setup via user groups or by an enterprising individual on the other end. On top of all this Im also doing some work for Warner Bros (In LW of course) and its hard to simply break away and go. As I said before I will probably be involved with some Seminars on occasion. :)

Avebeno
07-21-2004, 06:01 PM
I second the suggestion for Phoenix!

Seems like there are quite a few of us in the Southwest wanting to get training!

SplineGod
07-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Phoenix is doable. Its close to LA (relatively). :)

3danim8d
07-21-2004, 07:52 PM
A L B U Q U E R Q U E

SplineGod
07-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Seeing as Im from Albuquerque and that its relatively close... ;)

Hervé
07-22-2004, 06:05 AM
Hey Spline God, you should emigrate in Europe..... :cool: :D

gjjackson
07-22-2004, 08:04 AM
From my experience I certainly wouldn't put up ANY money whatsoever for any of these type of events. I've already been suckered for $200 and heard nothing but excuses over and over again.

SplineGod
07-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Hervé
lol, you COULD adopt me. ;)

Joker II
07-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Hervé

Now that's a good idea, he could live in Brussels, would be easy to get there since it's only like half hour away from where I live :D

See ya,
Joker ;)

UnCommonGrafx
07-22-2004, 01:33 PM
Hell, if Larry were coming to my area (Chicago or other three hour drive location from Indy) I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

I have his rigging series and it's truly a two year course!! I'm sure he would be re-stating what's on the series I have but with updates.

An investment in myself!!!