PDA

View Full Version : Adobe = braindead ?

ingo
03-25-2003, 07:28 AM
Just look at this speed comparision between Ps on a PC and a Mac : http://www.adobe.com/motion/pcpreferred.html
Well i dont wanna talk about the speedtests nor start some flaming war, but isn't it dumb when a company that isn't able to produce decent running software for the Mac shows that kind of speed comparsion on their own website. Like "look how dumb we are not to make a speedy Mac version". Weird ! Maybe they posted the "out of memory" error from After Effects too because its 1,5 GB memory limit not long ago.
No wonder that so many people are interested in Film Gimp/Cinepaint ;)

Skonk
03-25-2003, 08:52 AM
Or could it be that PC's just perform better than MAC's ?

I use macs at college and pc at home and i really dont like the macs at all.

James..

Red_Oddity
03-25-2003, 09:07 AM
I'm not going into a debate about what system or hardware is better (we all know my stance towards Macs and quite frankly, my bitching and whyning never seemed to have solved the speed and workflow problems on those systems here at work so...)

BUT, Adobe is retarded, anything decent in their software, they f**k up with a patch or update, the workflow of their software is beyond me, their support and dedication towards the power users blows green sticky particles...

You can't do even remotely usefull 16bit (not in AFX not in PS), the Illustrator Rasterizer (export to bitmap function) doesn't handle CMYK...????....so much for print....
AFX doesn't come with a decent work area and the interface is clunky, crowded slow and buggy...
Photoshop becomes rediqulously bigger with every useless update and every usefull importer exporter gets scrapped...
(Why the hell do i need a billion brushes..when all they have done is increase the size...the keyboard comes with brackets so i can increase the size on the fly....)

ETC
ETC
etc

I really want something like Amazon for Win32 and OSX...

Beamtracer
03-25-2003, 03:23 PM
The amazing thing is that Adobe is quoting those old figures from Charlie White's biased comparison.

When After Effects was first ported to OS X, it was a rushed and shoddy job that couldn't support multiprocessing at all, and couldn't utilize all the available RAM in a Macintosh machine. I guess it was a good time if to do a comparison if you want to make the Mac look really bad. Adobe only corrected the RAM issue a few weeks ago with a patch.

The big question here is.. why is Adobe quoting these figures? Why is Adobe encouraging people to switch from Mac to Windows? There even appears to be a link on this Adobe page to show where you can buy a Windows machine.

Why are they doing it? There has been a lot of rumors about a fall-out between Adobe and Apple. Adobe has been upset by things that Apple has done:

*Apple released the Premiere-destroying Final Cut Pro
*Apple markets Shake in competition to After Effects
*Apple created it's Quartz Graphic Engine for OS X by reverse engineering Adobe's PDF technology, without paying Adobe any royalties.

Adobe must be afraid of what Apple is doing.

Meanwhile film and video professionals are jumping ship to go with Cinepaint / Filmgimp.

John Fornasar
03-25-2003, 08:01 PM
At an Adobe seminar last year, the Adobe guy stated that they are writing all their upgrades to Windows XP hooks for speed and stability. The day was co-sponsered by Microsoft, but there was only an MS banner there, no 'softies in sight.

This isn't a scientific poll, but in the last five years, out of about 12-15 graphics/video people that get together once in a while to hoist a few, all but one hold-out have switched to PC's. General consensus was that is was cheaper and faster.

Another reason is that about half of them are like me, and day jobs are with mega-large companies - when the day job video/graphics department goes to Win, it's just easier to have the same system at home/studio.

Lamont
03-25-2003, 11:23 PM
I look at things like this for giggles. In no way will it affect what hardware I buy because I know the type of work I do.

Besides, as long as I have computers, there will always be a Mac on my network.

Matt
03-26-2003, 02:04 AM
nah, sorry, photoshop just gets better with every update.

their other packages have a few niggles but generally I rate their
software as the best in class.

regarding the pc / mac debate.

used to be mac advocate, now use pcs, don't really care as long
as it runs the software I wanna use.

but some stuff seems to work better on pc, not because they're
more capable, but because the developers have spend more time
on the pc side of things, because the market is bigger.

apple will always have a special place in my heart though!

ingo
03-26-2003, 02:57 AM
>>apple will always have a special place in my heart though!

Ooooooooooh that is heartwarming, Steve J. will love you for that ;)

The main reason i found that weird is that i expect those graphics on Dell's or Intel's website, but not on the site of a software developer. I think that all Mac users should now send emails to Adobe to tell them they need more work to do that their software runs as fast on a Mac as on a PC.
But Beam is right, there is a nice love-hate relationship between Apple and Adobe, maybe Apple should present on its next event Freehand, or maybe they should buy that company ? Is that a monopol ? So many questions....

mastermesh
03-26-2003, 12:25 PM
the Mac market is much smaller than the pc market... Adobe sells its stuff, and upgrades its stuff based on market trends.