PDA

View Full Version : LW8 Layout : Surface editor copy/paste bug

SplittingPixels
05-24-2004, 09:18 PM
While using LW8 Layout's surface editor :

If you copy a layer from the bump channel using "Copy: Selected Layers" and then paste it into the colour channel using "Paste: Add to Layers", any Gradients previously present in the colour channel will be converted from colour to grayscale. :)

(It seems like the code which converts colour gradients to grayscale when you paste into bump/diffuse channels is accidentally firing in the colour channel.)

*edit*

Just tested, and same behaviour occurs in Modeller.

Panikos
05-24-2004, 10:40 PM
If I understand correctly ...
this happens in LW6.* to LW7.5c

If you use a Gradient in Alpha Mode in the Color channel, unfortunately the gradient is messed with the colors.
This is mainly due to lack of grouping of textures with parentheses, and the fact that layerss are in a form of a stack.
:(

SplittingPixels
05-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Nope this seems to be entirely new behaviour and is not related to alphas. It actually discards the color information from the keys of *previously present* layers when you paste.

Lets say I have "Layer #1" already present in the colour channel : it's a gradient layer, in "Normal" mode, and quite colorful. I then go to my bump channel, copy any layer from it (even a bitmap or procedural layer) with a "Normal" blend mode, then go back to the colour channel and do a "Paste/Add to Layers" so that the layer I'm pasting becomes "Layer #2". When I do this, the previously coloured "Layer #1" has all its keys converted to grayscale.

Panikos
05-25-2004, 08:51 AM
I dont have LW8 so I cannot "see" the problem.

As I wrote before, grouping of textures would improve things so much, including fixing similar problems/bugs you experienced.

Dodgy
05-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Confirm in LW8. If you copy a value only gradient (using the Copy Layer button) and paste it into the colour channel, any colour gradients are changed to greyscale gradients only.

Simon
05-26-2004, 02:54 AM
Yes I noticed this happen the other day, I was sure at the time I hadn't done anything wrong, a colour gradient changed to grayscale.

toonafish
06-02-2004, 12:05 PM
It's a known bug, Newtek knows about this. I hope it will be solved soon.

The only workaround I could come up with is to paste the greyscale layer temporaraly into an empty color slot you're not using ( if you have any ) and when you then copy it again and paste it in the slot where you need it nothing bad will happen to the existing layers.

cheers

Fish
http://www.toonafish.nl