PDA

View Full Version : Betacam Machine control

approd
05-24-2004, 02:35 PM
I have been unable to get the VT to operate the playback, FFw Rev etc from the external control panel. There is a serial cable running from the serial port on my computer to the serial in on the SX8. and a 9 pin cable runing from RS422 to the decks. All cables are tested good.

I resolved this problem once before by adding the serial cable from the computer to the SX8. I have since changed the mother board and the problem has rerurred. Before, I was unable to select any of the BOB settings. Now I can select them but the deck still does not respond.

Does anyone know if settings need to be modified in Windows-2K or the toaster preferences to get the controls to work.

Thanks,

Jim Capillo
05-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Check this thread out - it's a good place to start......

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20641&highlight=rs422

approd
05-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Thanks for your reply. I checked out the thread you mentioned and added a further query.

I am using VT2 on Win2K The function of "deck profiles or definitions" does not seem to exist with this version. I did try autoconfigure and noted that it stops after analysing the drives.

I downloaded the Comcheck32 program from Addenda Electronics and it indicated that access to COM 1 was denied and all others could not be found.

This could be the root of the problem but I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?

Jim Capillo
05-25-2004, 04:27 PM
I don't know windoze deeply enough to know why you don't have permission other than being logged on other than as the administrator. Make sure you have full permissions.

Also, go into control panel/system and see what is listed for the com ports. You might have a problem there.

approd
05-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Well, I have tried several other things. I discovered that there was an incoming connection through networking that had "occupied" the port. Removing that made the port available. Still no control.

I installed and ran WsonyII. When Wsony was active, the port availability dissappeared. Still, no control.

The toaster was not running. The connection to the deck is through the BOB. Do I have to have the Toaster running to make BOB active so that the data can pass through?

I shut down Wsony and ran VT2. No control but this time the port stayed open. ?? Could this mean the VT2 is not communicating with the port?

Running Wsony with the VT2 running produces a "access denied" messsage from. ComCheck. Shut it down and the port opens. It would appear that Wsony can communicate to the port (resulting in the access denied message) but the Toaster does not? This would indicate that the problem is not cable related. Still the deck does not respond to Wsony nor Toaster commands. This is most puzzling.

:confused:

ted
05-26-2004, 05:09 PM
I assume you have the deck in the "Remote" position?

approd
06-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Naturally the decks are in remote. I also put an ohm meter across all the pins on all the cables to make sure they were not damaged. If there is not a software solution within the VT2, then I have to assume that either the serial port is not functioning or there is a problem with the SX8.

Jim Capillo
06-03-2004, 08:28 PM
Since the only thing you've changed is the motherboard, I'd have to assume that the problem is originating there - somewhere......

Do you have more than one serial port? If so, try the other(s). Also, make sure the deck is on before you boot the VT - but before you start it, do another autoconfig and see if VT finds the deck.

I'd also check all the cables from the VT card to the SX-8 (for intermittent connections, etc.). They have been known to cause problems, but it really sounds like the serial port on the computer is not talking to the SX-8 for one reason or another.

bradl
06-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by approd
Well, I have tried several other things. I discovered that there was an incoming connection through networking that had "occupied" the port. Removing that made the port available. Still no control.

I installed and ran WsonyII. When Wsony was active, the port availability dissappeared. Still, no control.

The toaster was not running. The connection to the deck is through the BOB. Do I have to have the Toaster running to make BOB active so that the data can pass through?

I shut down Wsony and ran VT2. No control but this time the port stayed open. ?? Could this mean the VT2 is not communicating with the port?

Running Wsony with the VT2 running produces a "access denied" messsage from. ComCheck. Shut it down and the port opens. It would appear that Wsony can communicate to the port (resulting in the access denied message) but the Toaster does not? This would indicate that the problem is not cable related. Still the deck does not respond to Wsony nor Toaster commands. This is most puzzling.

:confused: I have been out of the loop lately so just now reading this...

Sounds like you have the Port freed up and the Sony pgm should run, however, if you are not using a Bob, you are aware you need a RS-232 to 422 converter, right? I did not see this mentioned so I thought I would ask. We use the Addenda RS-2/8 (http://www.addenda.com/rs28.htm) which may be overkill, but it works well, has activity indicators and higher output for longer cable runs.

Jim Capillo
06-07-2004, 11:33 AM
1st post says he is using the SX-8.......

bradl
06-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Oh so it does...

approd, maybe if you have access to a converter you could bypass the BOB and see if the problem is inside there?