PDA

View Full Version : Ye olde procedural flicker problems

omeone
05-24-2004, 03:38 AM
Has anyone got a definitive solution for this? I been through the archives here and at CGTalk, and there are lots of workarounds (most of them GI lighting or texture related though).

I'm using a micro procedural in the bump channel to simulate grass, with a gradient based on the bump in the specular channel, yep - a recipe for disaster. thing is - the stills look really really good and render quite fast, I'd love to be able to bring that quality and speed over to my animation...

What I have tried so far...

All the high AA settings with and without Motion Blur - high AA helped but not enough, MB didn't seem to have as much effect as I had hoped, camera needs to moves fairly slowly anyway.

Alpha bump reduction based on distance from camera, but this destroys the good look, and flickering still occurs close to the camera.

Increased the procedural scale - destroys the look. I have already refined the procedural's setting to lowest settings possible, while still looking good.

Doubled the render size at low AA with adaptive sampling at 0.5 and resampled output back to normal size - best result so far, but still not quite there. if anyone can provide more details about this method, it would help because I'm only guessing settings - i.e. AA settings hi/low, adaptive sampling on/off, MB on/off, best resampling method...?

Trying now... render at 4x normal size with no AA - well, Ive got to try everything

So, if anyone has gone through all this before and can give me a shortcut or a few pointers, thanks.

omeone
05-24-2004, 03:44 AM
oh yeah.. and is there a particular codec that is more suitable for fine details like this?

shadersrjj
05-24-2004, 04:13 AM
Try baking the texure? This can work and you can anti-alias the maps outside in photoshop if you bake to an image.

RJJ
IFW2 Textures - www.shaders.co.uk

omeone
05-24-2004, 04:21 AM
Hmmm I wanted to avoid that (I haven't actually tried it yet though) cos the camera has a low incidence angle, and there are 3 different level of grass cut, similar to Rough / Fringe / Fairway on a golf course, I thought if I baked them then the grass transition would look flat...