PDA

View Full Version : light study

luka
05-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi
I was doing a light study on this scene using one spot light no shadows and an egg cell covering my objects. trying to indirectly light the subject. I thought it looked cool so here it is.

riki
05-24-2004, 12:57 AM
mmmm nice soft relections, looks good. Love the touch of coulour with the olive.

luka
05-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Thanks riki
I'm thinking about using a bit of bloom and soft focus... perhaps later. These models are for a bar scene i have planned later.

Tiger
05-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Xlnt render...nice!

I just wonder what "egg cell covering my objects" really means.

/Tiger.

bobakabob
05-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Nice render and no harsh shadows considering you're using one spotlight! Have you tried using area lights?

luka
05-25-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Tiger
Xlnt render...nice!

I just wonder what "egg cell covering my objects" really means.

/Tiger.

It's a cloth like material that photographers use for photographing glass and metalic objects in the shape of an egg.

I think someone else here posted some details about it?

The problem I found using an area light is it has no control over the light cone. which was important as I want'd my light in a specific place.

UnCommonGrafx
05-25-2004, 05:18 AM
Build a light baffle, or use this one, to give yourself control over any light's cone angle. Add morphmixer to it in layout to control the cone.

Very Cool.
LightBaffle Object (http://uncommongrafx.com/examples/LightBaffle.lwo)
Oh yeah: if you Convert Powergons on it you will have a light within it's cone placed, ready for lighting. Its an area light.

Originally posted by luka
It's a cloth like material that photographers use for photographing glass and metalic objects in the shape of an egg.

I think someone else here posted some details about it?

The problem I found using an area light is it has no control over the light cone. which was important as I want'd my light in a specific place.

UnCommonGrafx
05-25-2004, 05:22 AM
And, pardon my manners,
Nice image.
:D

Darth Mole
05-25-2004, 05:51 AM
How did you get such a lovely soft reflection - looks like depth-of-field??

luka
05-26-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Darth Mole
How did you get such a lovely soft reflection - looks like depth-of-field??

Thanks for the tip. I used relection blur in the surface panel:)

Brett H.
05-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by UnCommonGrafx
Build a light baffle, or use this one, to give yourself control over any light's cone angle. Add morphmixer to it in layout to control the cone.

Very Cool.
LightBaffle Object (http://uncommongrafx.com/examples/LightBaffle.lwo)
Oh yeah: if you Convert Powergons on it you will have a light within it's cone placed, ready for lighting. Its an area light.
I think that should be "Convert Luxigons".

Brett

UnCommonGrafx
05-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Well,
Before I wrote that I went to lw[8] and pressed "Convert Powergons" and something happened... heheh

And I just did it again and "Convert Powergons" worked, even giving me the right name for the light. You try it and tell us what you get.

(I'm pretty anal about these things. Made me go check myself. I hate being wrong. :rolleyes: :cool: )

Brett H.
05-28-2004, 04:51 PM
You seem to be right. Convert Luxigons is still there, under Add>Lights>Convert Luxigons, but Convert Powergons seems to work as well. In LW 7.5c, it's "Do Powergons" and "Convert Luxigons" which both seem to work.

Sorry, I just never heard of converting powergons to get luxigons to become lights. :)

Brett

CiaranM
05-31-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by luka

Nice render! I love the soft reflections (did you use max aa to get them so perfect?). I know of a solution for your lighting problem. Start by cloning your spotlight twice. Change the two new lights into area lights - one will cast light and shadows and the second will cast an equal, but negative light e.g. -100, but no shadows. Also turn off shadows on the spotlight. Parent the +ve area light to the spotlight and the -ve area light to the +ve area light. With this setup you will achieve the desired illumination and control of a spotlight, but the more realistic soft shadows of an area light. The illumination of the two area lights will cancel each other out, leaving just the shadows cast. Since only one area light is casting shadows, I have found that the render time is not increased too excessively.
Good luck!

luka
05-31-2004, 02:49 AM
Thanks CiaranM
I used FPrime during the whole texture lighting process, once I was happy with it I let it Fprime render for about three hours.

legomanww
06-04-2004, 09:41 PM
That looks awesome, the glass and the plate looks amazing.

Exper
06-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Really good!

Tiger
06-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Luka....your new "Boral Window Systems-30 Colour Exposures"
is realy nice !!

hyzwxm
06-09-2004, 03:20 AM
I wonder what is your " egg cell", I really wonder.

luka
06-09-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by hyzwxm
I wonder what is your " egg cell", I really wonder.

An elite chicken response group to protect chicken kind:)