PDA

View Full Version : Interior: Diner

otacon
05-23-2004, 08:00 PM
I just got finished with a new scene. I thought of this scene one night as i was lying in bed, so i had to write it down before i forgot. My idea was to create a scene in a diner late at night, a single light overhead and signs that someone, maybe a trucker, just got done drinking some coffee. The scene took 3 days total to model, texture, and light. Render was about 4 hours, with interpolated radiosity. I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I hope you like it! C&C welcome as always!:D
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/diner2.jpg

Skunk
05-23-2004, 09:00 PM
how did you light it?

Hervé
05-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Very nice..... some car lights outside on the parking lot would be nice.... brush the chrome or dirty it some more...;) :)

otacon
05-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Yea, the chrome is a little too reflective and clean. For lighting, i have one area light inside the lamp with shadow mapped shadows for softness, and inverse distance intensity falloff. Then i have one area light over top the booth, one right under the table pointing down, and one behind the camera. I also have some point lights that affect specular only. Interpolated radiosity at about 60%.

chuzzlewit
05-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Love the vynal texture on the seats, my backs sweating already. Don't get many Chevies in London but are they really that short.

steevo
05-24-2004, 09:03 PM
Nice work.

But ... would you consider adding some discolouration, grime and scuffs to the wood surfaces near the floor? They just seem a little too ... clean.

Steve

otacon
05-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks. I agree some stuff could be more dirty.
Heres a wire.

richdj
05-25-2004, 11:57 AM
:D As usual, great work, can't wait to see the update with a little grime and dirt.. Keep them coming...

Rich

otacon
05-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks. I'll see about adding some more dirt, but for now heres another more dynamic angle.
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/otacon/diner11.jpg

Matt
05-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Looks spot on to me, no need for any more grime, I prefer the first image's camera angle.

Octacon, you're really getting good at this!! :)

Out of interest, where are you finding these textures, library CD, digital camera or creating them from stratch?

They're very good.

otacon
05-25-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks. I like the first angle the best too. I do a lot of google searches for textures, and plus i have a bunch of good sites bookmarked. For most the wallpapers in my pics, i go to a wallpaper retail site that has lots of wallpaper selections and i get a texture from there and crop it in psp so its seamless. Most sites like that have pretty good sized images. Heres a good site for old woods and stones.http://www.davegh.com/blade/davegh.htm

Zarathustra
05-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Otacon...more like Automatic, as in automatically-a-good-scene. Great as always.

wacom
05-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Fairly soon thier will be a section in the NewTek gallery just of your work.

Do you use FPrime to setup? I've seen the stuff you've done before with out FPrime and it was equally impressive, just wondering if it's sped things up a tad for you.

hybrid2829
05-25-2004, 06:51 PM
thats so awesome, i was just going to start working on a diner scene of my own. Working on a movie and to make a shot up diner im gonna use lightwave. This is awesome work man.

Matt
05-26-2004, 01:58 AM
Are you using the same radiosity settings as the other scenes you did?

You seem to have hit a perfect balance of speed / quality IMO.

otacon
05-26-2004, 09:21 AM
I dont use fprime to render out any of my interiors, but i do use it sometimes to set up the lights. I always use interpolated radiosity, and the settings are always the same....although in this render the intensity was only at 70%. Ive found the perfect settings for most of my interiors are:

intensity: varied, but never under 50%
bounces: 1
RPE: 5x15, although at times i can get away with lower
tolerance: 0.7
MEV: 8mm
And a lot of the times i turn on 'reduce shading noise'.
I didnt use fprime to setup this lighting....sometimes i can just put lights in the right places and have it look good, other times i might need some fprime help. Thanks for the comments and questions!

Matt
05-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Cool, thanks Octacon, I'll try those out of some of my scenes, see how they look! :)

thekho
05-26-2004, 10:37 AM
Very nice work. Remind me of this diner which i went to Las Vega but i don't remember what is called. maybe Hard Rock? Cos i was too young.

Anyway, nice work again but i think your uplighter looks strange cos of this reflection. If your ceiling has a reflection, it should be fine. If not, you should not add reflection from table like real life.

P.S. Sorry about my bad english.

Jure
05-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Very nice scene once again http://vbulletin.newtek.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
but I would love to see some people in there!
Keep it up!

Matt
05-27-2004, 02:07 AM
rather than some people in there, you could just have half a leg and shoe of someone just leaving in a hurry, might be more interesting!

otacon
05-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Unfortunately im horrible at modeling people.....:(

emoboy83
05-27-2004, 05:50 PM
very nice but then again most of your work is. looks very resevoir dogs.

legomanww
06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
That's excellent. I love the texture on the seats, looks perfect. The bottles, napkin thingy, shaker, info card, and lamp are my favorite parts, look perfect.