PDA

View Full Version : Linux client status

erk
05-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Any ETA on a Linux ScreamerNet client to work with Lightwave 8?

erk
09-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Any updates yet? The wine method it proving to be a hassle due to the full install of X11 that is required on "headless" renderfarm machines.

jbcrane
12-29-2004, 02:11 AM
Hi,
I'm wondering what the ETA of a Linux ScreamerNet node for LW8 might look like. I'm running RHEL3WS here and would love to be able to do all my rendering on Linux rather than Win2KP. Also wondering what happens with Worley's plugins when I do this... will they render fine, or will they blow up. Officially they don't support Linux, but...
We have 10 PC nodes here, all Xeon 2.0.4 & 3.0.6 with at least 2 Gb RAM each, across a network of DELL's and HP machines. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Cheers-JBC

mgrusin
12-29-2004, 02:49 PM
(Lazy-*** question, haven't looked into it at all but...) anyone worked on any bootable-CD distros set up specifically for LW Linux render nodes? (Ala Morphix). That would make it really easy to set up even temporary farms...

-MG.

Phil
12-30-2004, 05:51 AM
Unless you get native linux versions of the plugins, the use of a linux-native LWSN program is likely to lead to problems for most projects.

I've only recently noticed the X11 dependency of wine myself and I'm wondering if there is anything that might be done about that.