PDA

View Full Version : Which book is the best?

nerdyguy227
05-23-2004, 07:42 AM
What book would you reccomend for LW [8]? There are many out there and I can only get 1 or 2 if I am lucky. I am above beginner, but not really up to the advanced level yet.

Thanks!

adrian
05-23-2004, 08:42 AM
For starters check out the "Leigh Van der Byl's Book" thread...

I guess Inside LW8 would be a good bet too....

Adrian.

prospector
05-23-2004, 08:50 AM
Yes, the 'Inside' series are considered the bible of LW'vers everywhere.

Scott
05-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Essential LightWave by Timothy Albee is very good. ;)

WilliamVaughan
05-23-2004, 12:06 PM
what are you looking to learn?

Jonny's coming out with a character Creation Book that is killer

Leigh has a great Texture Book

Tim Albee has a killer character book as well

Albee also has a getting starte dguide that is a must read for newbies

Nick has a killer Lighting book

Dan has Inside LW 8 which promises to be even better then the early version and is a complete rewrite...sounds liek one to look for...Dqan has always delivered

Dan and Randy have a Killer tips book

Wordware has 1001 killer tips for LW....sweet!

Steve Warner is working on a modeling book

there is an Lscript book in teh works

the list goes on...and on....I'd pick what area you want to focus on and then make ur call that way

Signal to Noise
05-23-2004, 11:10 PM
I would suggest waiting for Ablan's Inside book as your first choice. It's the tome of LightWave books and crammed with info covering almost everything in LW.

As for the other book, follow Proton's advice and decide which area of LW you want to focus on and then choose a book. Most of the books specific to [8] haven't been released yet or are delayed in delivery. So wait for reviews and comments from other members to see what's good and what's not as good.

Me? I plan to get all of them. I love books!:)

riki
05-24-2004, 12:55 AM
Get Dan's 'Inside 8' book, this might be the last one he does.

Librarian
05-24-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by riki
Get Dan's 'Inside 8' book, this might be the last one he does.
What do you mean? Why?

riki
05-24-2004, 01:38 AM
Something Dan mentioned in the Spinquad threads. I think he's keen to focus on some new projects.

riki
05-24-2004, 06:32 AM
Okay here's the link http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=20024#post20024

nerdyguy227
05-24-2004, 07:13 PM
I think I might be looking for a basic modeling book that gets more advanced in later chapters.

Other than that it is a little bit of everything.

Thanks!

zecryan
05-24-2004, 09:10 PM
if you are looking for a book with a little bit of everthing then i would try out 1001 tips and tricks, it seems like and has alot of tips from basic to advance in alot of different sections of modeling and render/animtion/texturing/... (you get the point).

dablan
05-24-2004, 10:12 PM
The new Inside LightWave 8 book will have info for total newbies, and you'll be rendering after the first chapter.
There's all types of modeling, from box, to point by point, to splines and subpatching. Included with the 1000 page book is a DVD-ROM with over 5 hours of additional tutorials but in Video form.

I'd also recommend Leigh's texturing book, and Nick's Lighting book for serious/specific topic information.

nerdyguy227
05-25-2004, 12:56 PM
I'll check it out

Thank you!

reverie
05-25-2004, 05:03 PM
When will Inside LW 8 be out? I looked at Amazon, and "more details" said December...2003? :)

Thanks,

Jan

dablan
05-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Late June.

Thanks,

nerdyguy227
05-26-2004, 01:13 PM
I think I will go for that one!

Jamel
06-20-2004, 09:34 AM
I am realy looking foward to this since im new to lightwave 8 because they didnt ship a manual im so lost:confused:

reverie
06-20-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm looking forward to Inside LW8, too. :) I read, somewhere, that it's been re-worked from V7. I keep checking Amazon...maybe soon!

Jan

P.S. Just checked the peachpit.com site -- they're saying June 24th! Maybe it'd be better to order directly from them, instead of waiting for Amazon.

dablan
06-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Thanks all....

They're telling me June 23rd publication date. So, a few days and we'll know for sure :) Either way, it's very close. I should have a bunch of copies that I've ordered arrive within days of the release.

Let me know if you can't get it from Amazon, and I'll match the price.

nerdyguy227
06-20-2004, 09:30 PM
About 3 months ago I was saying, "Inside Lightwave 8 won't be here for a while." It seems like time is passing sooooo quickly. I just started middle school this last September. 6th grade with swiching classes really moves the day on faster and 1 week seems like a day.

I remember waiting for LW 8 and now that is a thing of the past.

digefxgrp
06-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Definitely, DEFINITELY get "LIGHTWAVE 3D [8] 1001 TIPS AND TRICKS". This is the Holy Grail of any and all LW books. It really should ship with Lightwave itself. I've been using LW since day one and never have found a book that contains so much useful information. Since you said you're not a beginner, you'll really dig it.
Funny thing is I don't remember ordering the book. It showed up a couple days ago and from the first moment I cracked it open, I couldn't put it down and have spent every free minute prusing the book. It's laid out in a logical order, it's easy to read and as I said before, you'll learn a ton of stuff and do so without having to wade through a bunch of tutorials.
I just showed it to another long time LW user and he simply freaked over this book and spent the day trying to find a copy locally. Apparently it hasn't yet hit any of the large chains like Borders or Barnes and Nobles and even our big "tech" bookstore (Powells Tech Books) didn't yet have it in stock.
Also it's not just for LW 8 users. Most of the tips apply the earlier versions as well.

tjacobs
06-21-2004, 08:32 AM
The 1001 Tips and Tricks is a good book and very helpful, but I do not think it will help a newbie as well as the Inside LW8. Inside LW8 will give the user a soild base of information to start with. Then the 1001 Tips and Tricks will make more sense to the newbie.

harlan
06-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Well, I haven't had the opportunity of viewing all the books, but I have browsed through a couple. Dan Ablan, Randy Sharp, SplineGod, & Timothy Albee are all bad *** dudes, so you can go wrong with their material.

The 1001 Tips & Tricks books sounds groovy as well, but I'm sure InsideLW 8 will be another friggin Tome.

dablan
06-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Thanks Harlan -
another Tome? Eh, not so much. INLW 7 was 1200 pages.
This one is just 984. But, free DVD with 5 plus hours of video tutorials :)

And hey, while I'm at it - check out the brand new 3D Garage website!

Want to get up to speed on the new Bone Tools and IK Boost? Download the videos from the new 8.0 Courseware covering these topics for free - click HERE (http://3dgarage.com/)

flashover
06-21-2004, 01:26 PM
GREAT FREE VIDEO!!!!!

reverie
06-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Let me know if you can't get it from Amazon, and I'll match the price.

Thanks, Mr. D. :) That's very nice of you.

Definitely, DEFINITELY get "LIGHTWAVE 3D [8] 1001 TIPS AND TRICKS". This is the Holy Grail of any and all LW books.

Thanks for the heads up there, dgfx! This is another one I was waiting for -- ordered it from Wordware this morning. I hope it's as good as you say. And I hope it's similar to Killer Tips. I liked Killer Tips. Heck, I haven't met a LW book yet that I DON'T like. :D This program is so freakin' addictive, it's eerie. ;)

Jan

caesar
06-22-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by dablan
Thanks Harlan -
another Tome? Eh, not so much. INLW 7 was 1200 pages.
This one is just 984. But, free DVD with 5 plus hours of video tutorials :)

And hey, while I'm at it - check out the brand new 3D Garage website!

Want to get up to speed on the new Bone Tools and IK Boost? Download the videos from the new 8.0 Courseware covering these topics for free - click HERE (http://3dgarage.com/)

Well, 3dgarage.com is offline right now :(
And Dan, what a great book, im looking for it!

riki
06-22-2004, 07:42 AM
I just got 1001 Tips and Tricks today, reading it now. BTW does anyone know how we get the free Respower hours and Tim Bucks? I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before.

dablan
06-22-2004, 09:37 AM
3DG is up. Not sure what might have been going on, but I don't see it being down at all...

Try it again ... www.3dgarage.com

reverie
06-30-2004, 07:29 PM
This is a jam-up book! With this, and Killer Tips, you can't go wrong.

This is a closeup of part of an image done for a challenge at indeptharts.com, using a tip from 1001 -- one of Robin Wood's -- about using the radial array tool. :)

Jamel
07-01-2004, 11:54 AM
hey dan how does your training sesions work is it done all online or ant a training center in a state or on a dvd??

dablan
07-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Hey Jamal,
training can be done in house, one on one, or you can get the course on CD-ROM at 3D Garage (http://www.3dgarage.com)

Thanks,

Jamel
07-01-2004, 05:36 PM
thanks dan im thinking about it i bought your book on inside lightwave 8 an im hoping it will teach me a lot. an the dvd with it sounds cool too.

now all i have to do is wait till the book comes not realy sure when it comes

dablan
07-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks -
any day now. I got my first copy just two days ago. Amazon usually ships them within a week from my delivery. Not sure why, but this is my 8th book, so it's the usual routine :)

nerdyguy227
07-03-2004, 08:07 PM
How about I just buy all the books!

Although that might be a little too much money on my 30-70$ budget.