PDA

View Full Version : 400k Saslite Grass MD test

HowardM
03-24-2003, 11:45 PM
http://www.3dink.com/grassSAS.gif

Saslite has its charms, but the blades are too thin!...the dynamics dont work the same as polys either...ive got to do more tests...

cool effect for some stuff, like muppets! :)
this could work as grass for medium/wide shots with some tweaking....

oh yeah - renders a HELL of alot faster and even MD calculations are quite fast!
...ill do more tests with tons more guides...maybe that will help?

Epita
03-25-2003, 02:16 AM
hey thats really cool. i really want t oknow about how to use MD, but i dont have the time! great example of what it can doo

Epita

hrgiger
03-25-2003, 06:47 AM
Do you do any programming Howard? Because you seem to be doing a lot of MD work lately. How about giving us a better MD?:)

hrgiger
03-25-2003, 06:49 AM
By the way, did you get that 30 meg file loaded into modeler without crashing? I tried cutting that grass up and putting it in different layers, and then resaving the file to send to you but both my email and my yahoo briefcase have a 5MB limit and I could only zip it to 11MB.

HowardM
03-25-2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks Gig!

Nope, still cant load it in....and while I can program Flash, HTML and other simple languages, Im not a programmer, just an obsessed artist....but Ive got a little of it in my blood...I love the satisfaction of tackling a project either in LW or Flash/HTML...and seeing it through to completion...ITS ALIVE, ALIIIIIVE! :)

aloysius1001
03-25-2003, 06:30 PM
One observation, when the ball initially rolls through the blades, it looks like they are "mowed" away. It is kind of hard to verbalize, they just seem to disappear and then grow back together. they should look as if they are parted tightly down the middle w/o a noticable gap, and then they should slowly spring back into place. I'm not trying to criticize your work, Lord knows you have a hell of a lot more expertise in MD than I do. I'm just making an observation on how MD and Sas interact.

HowardM
03-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Ok, seems that the roots werent 'fixed' in MD!

http://www.3dink.com/grasssas2.gif

This is alot better...but I am still having trouble getting the chains to actually bend...if you notice the 'grass' stays stiff!

Anyone have a clue why?

...still this renders so much faster than polys!
:)

oh yeah i forgot, the bright blinking dither (appears after the ball initially hits the grass) is actually sas freaking out...any clue about that either? maybe my MD settings are making it shake?

aloysius1001
03-25-2003, 10:04 PM
Ok, I'm not the MD guru you are Howard, but I may have an idea. this might only work w/polys. If the grass blades are more than 2-3 polys high try giving each seg a different part name and then give each a different spring setting. I would make sense to me that if the lower polys were stiffer then when they spring back the floppier(is that a word) polys would lag behind making them bend. As far as how this would work w/Sas, don't know haven't used it yet.

HowardM
03-25-2003, 10:13 PM
hmm, thats not a bad idea, but i wonder if the polys would stay together ?

everyone stop calling me a guru!
im just a LW freak whos done some tests!
:)

ren_at_home
03-26-2003, 02:48 AM
you can dial the coarseness up to 400% in Saslite.
(Apparently its 750% in Sas)

this should give you thicker blades

:cool: