PDA

View Full Version : In-line help

nigebabe
05-22-2004, 06:38 AM
:confused: I recieved LW8 yesterday (I live in Switzerland for any others waiting out there) and I have what is sure to be a stupid question: how do you activate the in-line help system? All I get at the moment is a LW8 graphic that tells me to go to the Newtek site. The help docs have installed under documents but I cannot get it to display from within LW as it does on the LW8 videos.

Secondly, for any ATI card users out there, I had great probs getting LW8 running with my 7.5 drivers that were stable. An updated driver eventually did it but it still seems to be a bit unstable with random crashes. The card is an ATI FireGL X1 256mb. Anyone with similar problems/solutions? Anyone tried an Nvidia 6800 yet?

Cheers.

Nemoid
05-22-2004, 06:44 AM
inline help = F1 like in other packages :)

nigebabe
05-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the reply Nemoid - I have tried F1 and I only get the same LW8 Help graphic that I get when I select 'help' from within the menus and no in-line help. To get any help at all, I have to go into the documentation folder and manually select it and even then it is not in the format that I have seen demo'd on the video. It is as if there is no file association between F1 or the menu, 'help'. Should it have automatically set itself up?

Nemoid
05-22-2004, 12:40 PM
uhmm that's really strange. maybe something went wrong during installation?? i'd retry to reinstall Lw in that case...i dunno if there's a way to link the htm file to the F1 shortcut even if i think there should be surely one.

p.s. it should be a .htm file with some flash inside. now that i think about it maybe u don't have a flash plug into your pc or mac computer?

nigebabe
05-23-2004, 01:29 AM
Excellent call on the Flash Plug-In Nemoid - thanks. I remembered that after messing about with drivers a few weeks ago I ended up having to do a system reset using Goback (great program). However, it reset my system to a pre-flash installation date which I forgot about! A new flash download has cured the prob.

Why is always obvious afterwards?

Now, if I can only cure my display driver stability problem.....

Nemoid
05-23-2004, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by nigebabe
Excellent call on the Flash Plug-In Nemoid - thanks. I remembered that after messing about with drivers a few weeks ago I ended up having to do a system reset using Goback (great program). However, it reset my system to a pre-flash installation date which I forgot about! A new flash download has cured the prob.

Why is always obvious afterwards?

Now, if I can only cure my display driver stability problem.....

hehe i noticed that the way to consult the file was flash driven so i imagined it could be that prob.

about stability , maybe i'm wrong, but ATI cards have some prob with Lw always. have a friend wich said to me that he never buys ATI for that reason. he goes with Nvidia.

nigebabe
05-23-2004, 07:32 AM
I think you are right about ATI - although 7.5 was much better than LW8 appears to be with ATI, it was never perfect. I was thinking about Nvidia and 3D Labs, especially 3D Labs as they appear to be about to release twin VPU based cards - I just hope the price will not be stratospheric.

badllarma
05-23-2004, 08:51 AM
I'm running a ATI Rad 9700 on 7.5c and now 8 had no problems at all :)
OS is XP home.

nigebabe
05-23-2004, 02:55 PM
My prob is a bit peculiar as it only seems to crash when modelling one particular model, composed of about 30000 polys. However, I can load other objects up with more polys and it works fine. I am sure it can't be the fact that the model with which it crashes was modelled with a mixture of LW7 and then 7.5 or can it? After a reinstall of LW 8 it works for a while until a random selection of F7 or changing the perspective res from one type to another crashes it. I guess it may be a corrupt file but it would presumably not work at all in that case. Very frustrating, especially when I have only just got LW 8 two days ago.

Sounds ominously like a new graphics card or ATI to look at an updated driver (more likely a new card then)

Always up for suggestions.

prospector
05-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Try here;
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=180414#post180414

bruno
04-08-2006, 12:15 AM
I've got the same In-line help problem with LW 8.5 on my mac (10.4.5) but not on my PC (2000)
Remove Flash player 8 (with the flash remover http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15511#remove) and reinstall player 7. Work fine.