PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave textured motion - F-prime n Polk.

Intuition
05-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Ok, I thought I would post this here to throw a few questions out to experienced users and since we mostly hang out here I posted here.

First off. I am using "textured motion" to animate a vehicle moving across terrain.

It mkaes the path beautiully and with a little adjusting perfectly follows the curvature of the ground with only two key frames from me. When I tell the vehicle to set its heading to "Align to path" it does so. So with three key frames where the vehicle turns it turns and heads with the angle the path is set.

BUT... when I say to "align to path" with the pitch setting it does not pitch for me. Am I stting something wrong.

1 more question to follow

Intuition
05-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Now I assumed (slapping my own wrist now).....that since Polk and F-prime are both made by worley that they could be used together.

I want to use F-PRime's Radiosity but I can't see Polk's "acid" effect I made for leaving tracks in the dust.

HEre is Polks tracks left in the sand. A nice effect.

Intuition
05-21-2004, 03:34 PM
OK, so with F-Prime we've all been able to do the great taboo of rendering animations with Radiosity (praise the day) but in this particular situation I can't see the tracks in F-Prime...

...but as you can see I much prefer the radiosity lighting.

ANy thoughts or experience on using these things together is much appreciated.

JamesCurtis
05-21-2004, 03:47 PM
You may be able to use a program like Photoshop to composite the two images together. currently FPrime does not support shaders from what other posts on the board say.

cagey5
05-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Yep that's a limitation at present because of limitations to the SDK, nothing to do with Worley and his ability to integrate his programs.
Newtek will be working to open up the SDK to allow the required information to be accesible. Limitations are listed in the short manual for fPrime.

Intuition
05-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Ok, that answers a few questions so any thoughts on the Textured Motion "Pitch" problem?

ANy suggestions.

Intuition
05-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Tried to use the render trick where you put a 100% transparent polygon in front of the camera.

I have seen this trick reduce render times alot.

But even using this trick the render time for this frame was around 15 minutes for a 320x240 no aliasing.

it is LW native radiosity and looks good but for a HD frame that is 1920x1080 it will take too long. SO I think I am going to try and render the scene in F-Prime and then make all the objects in the scene black (sky as well) and then make the acid "Tracks" render in white.

Then do pass with no vehicle (transparent) so that I have a color channel for the tracks. Its 3 passes but will probably yeild great results.

I have done this with hypervoxels before where I render the scene in F-Prime then render the Hypervoxels around a blacked out object with surface key set to 0 this way when the voxels go behind the surface they are keyed out properly for composite.

Any other thoughts?

Elmar Moelzer
05-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Hey Inuition!
Resolution is going to up rendertimes, thats true, but you can lower your radiosity- settings if you use AntiAiliasing, since every AA- pass will add additional rays and so help getting rid of noise and splotchiness (in case of interpolated rad).
You may still have to live with longer rendertimes than with Fprime though...
BTW, the scene looks pretty cool!
CU
Elmar

kfiram
05-21-2004, 08:23 PM
I guess the heading works beacause it's actually using your keyed motion, wheras pitch won't work because it's using a plugin.
The solution would be to bake the motion and get rid of the plugin.

jds580s
05-21-2004, 09:15 PM
you can check out an expression I wrote for this very issue (pitch with vehicle using texture motion)

It's in this scene

http://www.onthez.com/temphosting/vehicle_setup.zip

papou
05-22-2004, 06:57 AM
isn't Vertigo the best plug to move a car on desert land?
http://www.andynicholas.com/thezone/index.php?area=downloads

Steve McRae
05-22-2004, 08:23 AM
great looking little vehicle and set

dwburman
05-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Intuition: how are you blacking out your objects? Are you using the Matte object flag?

The multipath method you're talking about should work great.

Intuition
05-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

I am trying all of your suggestions out.

Vertigo looks like a good bet for my problem but I am trying the pitch "motion texture" as well. I am wondering if that is the same way I am already trying it though?

As far as keying I set the surface settings to 0,0,0 black and then go to the "advanced" tab in the surface panel and set the alpha channel to "constant" at 0.

Set like this a surface (tires,truck) can cover up things it is in front of (like the tracks in this instance) and instead of being included in the key as a black shape its cut out of the key completely.

You really don't have to set the color or settings to black but I do for mental reference. You could just simply use constant value of 0 for the alpha....but since I am trying to set the tracks at white vs black I will want the objects black as well for the alpha layer.