PDA

View Full Version : Render?!?!?

G-Pjube
05-21-2004, 12:44 PM
I was wondering how to create good photorealistic renders with lightwave 7.5.. this is not making sense to me cause i've tryed alot of things but i still can't render anything better then this :(

http://members.lycos.nl/modelart/render/test_render_real.jpg

When i get all of these crappy renders i just only create cell shaded renders cause they look better :P But they are not good for every scene/object.. and it makes me wonder if the render stuff of lightwave is really bad.. but when i see these things.. then i don't understand how to do it :confused:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=178590

What aspects are important for creating superb renders... i know you can do a lot with lights but don't really know how :( Any hlp would be nice :)

Dodgy
05-21-2004, 01:04 PM
You need to take a good hard look at your object and get more detail in it, not just from a modelling side but from a surfacing side. Do you have a Game cube there on your desk? Or Some really good pictures for reference? The guy who did those phones really went to town modelling and surfacing everything just right, making micro bevels at the edges of the phones so there are no sharp edges. Very little in real life has sharp edges, so work on your model.

Tim Parsons
05-21-2004, 04:22 PM
While I agree with Dodgy in regards to detail in your models, I also think that lighting is the most important aspect of rendering. My son has a Game cube and I immediately recognized your model as such, so your half way home. Spend some time in layout with some lights and don't forget to turn on raytrace lights etc. in render options. I recently had to model a PS2 for some product shots, it was hastily thrown together in under an hour, using info and images that were available on Best Buy.com etc. With decent lighting and in the right context it worked out. Lighting is the key.

Cheers
Tim

Andyjaggy
05-22-2004, 10:00 AM
You just asked an extremely broad question that could be an entire forum itself. The first thing that came to mind when I looked at your picture was that there are not any shadows. I also agree with Tim even a wonderfully detailed model will look like crap if it is not lit right. If you want to learn a little about lighting go to www.cybercollege.com, they talk about lighting for film but the concepts are the same. Try adding some more detail to your model, Play around with your surfaces, bump maps etc..... and fix the lighting, and you will get much more satisfactory results.

peteb
05-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Biggest thing to do first is work on your surfaces. Look at the way different plastics absorb light and reflect. I think this is your main problem, by the looks of it all your surfaces are set to default? Everything in the real world scatters and bounces light a certain and amount, which is why you can get a pretty good idea of what something's made of just by looking at it.
So to start with think about that. As a rough guide Glass will have a diffuse of near 0 where as plastic will be a lot higher probably about 80% but again this can depend on the plastic. Also look into how the specular reflects off the surface, this also will need to be changed. Bump maps are important, they can really help to give rubber a rubber look by breaking up the light. Also eveything in the real world is dirty to some extent, especially kids toys. Use image maps and proceduels to create the every day dirt and grime that you'd get on these sort of objects.
And as someone else on this thread said lighting is really important but you can get good results from just one light, or just radiosty. But like I said I think your first problem is your surfaces.

Hope this helped.

Graham Nichols
05-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Lighting can make or break a scene. You can be the world's most detailed and realistic modeller, but with poor lighting all your pixel pushing will look sub-standard when compared to a guy who knows lighting.

www.rustboy.com is a great example of what lighting and surfacing can do to make relatively simple models look magical.

G-Pjube
05-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Thankz for all the advise... i'm going to diddle around with settings and lights and also the surface's... when it's working out i will post an w.i.p. :D