PDA

View Full Version : Please do me a favor! Test this 500,000 poly object out!

HowardM
03-24-2003, 06:42 PM
Help a brother out! download this 30 meg (11 zipped!) into Modeller and see if you crash! http://www.3dink.com/grasstest.zip
On a 2.2 ghz, 1meg machine, LW crashes when I load this in
and try to even move anything around...especially when i go to subD it!

its frustrating...so Id love to know if its just me or if it happens to you?

Thanks!

hrgiger
03-24-2003, 07:25 PM
I'm downloading it right now Howard and I'll let you know when it finishes and I try to load it...

hrgiger
03-24-2003, 07:47 PM
It loaded for me ok Howard, though very slowly. Is this another MD test? How can you even use this? The calculations would have to take forever and a day!

HowardM
03-24-2003, 09:46 PM
yep, its the same grass as the MD tests but with about 500,000 (before subd!) polys!
I wanted to try to do a large field of grass with the ball rolling and bouncing thru it, but alas...I crash over and over even after reboots...wonder if its my gfx card!?
:(

...i know its nuts to tax LW, but I wanted to see what it can do...
even if it takes days to calculate, it would work fine (if it didnt crash) because my settings for the small patch worked fine..
it would be cool to see what different shapes and motions would do to the grass....

thanks for testing it!

hrgiger
03-24-2003, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I can barely rotate the view alone. I don't think I would dare turning on subpatch.

ingo
03-25-2003, 02:25 AM
I had the same problems with high-poly 3D trees, especially with tons of needles. The solution was to break the tree object into smaller objects with 100000 polys each, than Layout works fine. Maybe that works with your grass too.