PDA

View Full Version : Delux RLA How do you use it with After Effects?

jamball
03-24-2003, 07:05 PM
How do you get LW to render out the files as RLE images?

I've loaded the delux RLA and ASA's Buffer Saver.

When I go to Render Options I select
Save RGB type DeluxRLA and give it a file name.
Save Alpha type DeluxRLA and give it another name.

When I bring it into AE though it tells me the file is trillions of colors+

I had expected it to say millions of colors+
Z-depth, MaterialEffects, Object ID, UV-Coordinates, NormalVEctor etc.

When you click and hold down on an item in the AE comp window, while looking at the info window. It says channel not available.

I'm doing something wrong.

I've also just rendered out an image then selected File Save As and selected delux RLA but still can't see the channels.

I've checked out Dougsplanet tutorial and did a search on the forum but it assumes you know how to use LW past where I am.

thanks.

Red_Oddity
03-25-2003, 05:02 AM
I asume you render them out as RLA, as RLE is a differnt ballgame (Utah Run Length Encoding)

Just use the Extended RLA export found in the Image Filter tab (and use Deluxe RLA also found under the Image Filter tab if you wish to increase the bitdepth)
Check what channels you wish to use and enter a filename.
Done...
(Just save your Alpha in the normal way (as a Targa sequence) in the Render options panel.)

(The Deluxe RLA or other RLA savers that you find in the Render Options tab are 8bit and do not save out other channels other than RGBA)

Cobalt
03-25-2003, 08:37 AM
Somewhat related to this subject ...

At an After Effects User Conference at the NY DV Show, the intsructor demonstrated how a Cinema 4D plug-in and After Effects work seamlessly.

She opened up a rendered sequence and all the elements showed up on the AE timeline ... each light, specularity, reflection, color, glossines, etc. for instant tweaking and editing.

It was cool and took no time at all. I know you can do something similar with Lightwave ... but the process seems more convoluted and lengthy.

I hope a future version of Lightwave will have a similar capability.

jamball
03-25-2003, 10:33 AM
Gives this error.

jamball
03-25-2003, 10:52 AM
I used the LW_RLA32(.rla) and Delux RLA(.rla). Both render out files with the .rla extent but when you import into LW you get only the RGBA channels.

jamball
03-25-2003, 11:48 AM
Scene | Effects | image process | add image filter

select Extended RLA Export and select the buffers you want to send out.

It is really quite simple and non-circuitious.

Anyone have another way to skin the cat?

:D

Thanks for the input

jamball
03-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Once in AfterEffects the file descriptor in the comp window looks like this:

blabberlicious
03-25-2004, 04:34 AM
Been trying to get .rla image to take the z-Depth into AFX for post blurring fx.

When I export using Extended RLA Image Plugin, everyhting imports to AFX nicely, and AFX lists the imported Channels associated with the file.

When I use the AFX 3D Channel Extract, all the channels appear properly, except z-depth - which is just flat grey.

I could use the .psd export way...but I'd like to get this working, to keep it sweet 'n simple.

Any suggestions?

blabberlicious
03-25-2004, 04:38 AM
Sorry jamball

I found your post after I posted to the group :-)

BUT

I've done exactly what you outlined, but AFX doesn't want to play!

I just get flat grey instead of the extracted z-depth.

Just to amke sure, I used the .psd export to send out the buffer - which it did fine.

So what did I do wrong, your honour?

Any help appreciated

petermark
03-25-2004, 08:31 AM
I played with the RLA stuff in AE recently and found it very cool. I wish I had known about it sooner!

I also was getting a plain gray at first, but try shoving the sliders around alot. I believe they need to be in the negatives, but not too far. It can take a bit to find the right numbers, just mess around with it.

blabberlicious
03-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Just cracked it! Amazing!

Great being able to 'Dial in' Depth of field & fog.

What a monster timesaver...

What I really need to know now tp really exploit this, is how to add a unique MATERIAL ID to particular LW surfaces, so that I can post process then individually.

I'm sniffing around the SPECIAL BUFFER in Surface Editor>Advanced>Special Buffers

but as yet no joy :-(

Anyone know how to do this?

blabberlicious
03-25-2004, 08:43 AM
...just to add to that, once imported into AFX, uit can only see one Material ID for all the objects:Material ID 65

Oh where are you Material ID, you sneaky f***er!