PDA

View Full Version : math book ilustartion

veljko
05-21-2004, 04:50 AM
its an idea for a math book design Im doing-
Its a combination of 2d/3d-
hope you find it interesting
(the client had other ideas...gee, hate when that happens..)
i rendered out the sphere and the formulas and numbers in the square part of the ilustration
the rest is abiously 2d:)
the drawing was also done by yours truly:)
On top of it goes the title of the book and other nessery stuff..

emoboy83
05-21-2004, 06:49 AM
really nice design, looks like its more at home in photoshop than lightwave though.

adrian
05-23-2004, 12:48 AM
Just makes me realise how much I've always hated maths!

Very nice work though...

Adrian.

veljko
05-23-2004, 04:53 AM
Yeah..!
And they want me to make the illustration show how math is "alive" and "happy" and stuff? I mean- whats up with that- im making a new design- a bit more bright and "happy"- ill post it when i have some visable results:)

math-happy and alive? yeah my a**:)

kurt_kober
05-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Without math, no Lightwave 3D. Without Lightwave 3D, much less happy!

freedik
05-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Is this for cover or some inbook illustration or....?

What makes math alive is PHYSICS. Personally I would do some real life thing and put some equasions next to it. So that audience would realize that this equasion is really how things work in real life.

arrrr... I'm a bit biased cause I'm trying to pass physics double course at my never-ending university :P

Anyway, looking at your picture. It's disturbing that those formulas don't seem to make any sense. Unless of course, they go beyond my modest knowledge of math :)

veljko
05-24-2004, 04:13 AM
Its for a cover of a math book- it was just an idea, the client in the end wanted something more "brght" and positive..
Im working on the next idea- Ill be using a painting of Paul Klee i think- he is brighter and all his painitings are geometrical and stuff-

The formulas do make sence (one is the formula for finding the fibonnaci numbers (dont know how to translate this accuratly:) )
The

the others are mainly just properties of algoritms and stuff like that..

UnCommonGrafx
05-24-2004, 05:48 AM
Veljko,
That's too bad; I liked the start you had.

I thought that if you took the paper off of half, and get rid of that dreary pic in the left corner, while compositing in a ...series of life pics of a person(s) using math for a lifetime. Even better if the formulas are being utilized in the pics.
A child playing blocks, formulas of gravity; teens in sports, arcs, triangles; a person at work, creating widgets in a factory using a ruler would be examples off the top of my head.

Love finding interesting things like this in the am for that morning brain jog. :p

A nice white backdrop with the pics vignetted or soft brushed in with formulas on top. Maybe a slight blur and definitely a bit of white glow added to the edges of the pics to 'snap' the eye there without loosing site of the formulas. Yeah, that's what I saw in my minds eye. Off to the day!

bobakabob
05-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Very original work - interesting mix of 2d and 3d. Yep I hated maths at school too and can still feel the palms of my hands sweat with fear. A text book like this would be fun and inspiring. Looking forward to seeing how this idea progresses...

veljko
05-26-2004, 02:03 AM
thx for the replies- i am still working with the book authors to find something that would please everybody...it would be nice to have an on_staff mind reader:)-
@UnCommonGrafx: like your ideas, except the white background, and soft brushes- to corny for my teaste-and the white glow is a bit "cheese holiday flayer" stile imho-

Ill be posting new progress as soon as they figure out what they all want- this might take a few days:)
-stay with me folks:)

legomanww
06-04-2004, 10:02 PM
I like it better than most of the covers I've seen, if not all of them, actually had things on it other than just random numbers, symbols, and pictures of random things, with funky colors in the backgrounds.

robar3d
06-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by veljko
Its for a cover of a math book- it was just an idea, the client in the end wanted something more "brght" and positive..
Im working on the next idea- Ill be using a painting of Paul Klee i think- he is brighter and all his painitings are geometrical and stuff-

It's interesting that your client wanted "bright", "positive" art for the math book cover. What is the math book project geared for? Elementary schoolchildren? Junior high or high school kids? If the client wanted bright and positive look on the cover as if he/she may wanted to make math appealing and fun to children. The cover of the math book should reflect the mindset of elementary schoolchildren: bright, positive, fun. Your visualized concept looks great on physics books, geared for college-age students, not children.

Just my two cents.

veljko
06-07-2004, 02:11 AM
Yeah, my sentiments exactly-
this is a book for collegue students (18-25 years of age), and she is constantly pushing for a second grade math book illustration look...
its a bit frustrating, but I am tryng to wiggle my way trough her suggestions and requests- I am finishing a new version of this illustration, ill post it asap-
thx for all the replies!

robar3d
06-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by veljko
Yeah, my sentiments exactly-
this is a book for collegue students (18-25 years of age), and she is constantly pushing for a second grade math book illustration look...
its a bit frustrating, but I am tryng to wiggle my way trough her suggestions and requests- I am finishing a new version of this illustration, ill post it asap-
thx for all the replies!

She wanted a second grade math cover on the book for college-age students? Where the hell she comes from?!
:mad:

I hope your latest illustration should confound your client enough to accept it. :D