03-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Heres the latest thing im pulling off.

C&C are so welcome...

Gabman6
03-24-2003, 08:00 PM
heres more

Rory_L
03-24-2003, 09:05 PM
It`s coming on! You might try it with higher res bump maps and fix the visible tiling, unless you want it to be visible that is!

Also, for ease of reading the image, how about making the stairs risers a different material to their treads? Or make the treads more worn looking, like they`ve been well walked on.

R

John Fornasar
03-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Nice work... 2 crits -

The stairs should be off to the side of the loading platform - the platform lowers and raises to meet the height of trucks loading and unloading. I'd also put more of a steel texture on the platform. If your look was grungier, you could show the pistons (or other lift mechanism) under it, but the setting looks modern enough to keep the safety skirt (the vertical piece) in place (keeps people from getting squished).

The stairs look like poured concrete, or concrete blocks. You would probably find an open metal staircase (with a diamond safety texture) in this building.
However, whatever your choice of material, you would need handrails on either side of the staircase. Considering the OSHA compliance in place already (the yellow safety tape border), you'd probably want to continue that with safety yellow handrails.

hrgiger
03-25-2003, 12:23 AM
Is this for a game?

Gabman6
03-25-2003, 05:25 PM
Hey again... this image is not for a game (why? does it look game-like quality?) its just for something im doing. Now that i look at it, the metal part does look a little clean, so what should i put? dented? fractal? Also where can i find a diamond metal texture? For this im using a ||=||=|| kind of metal texture. Thanks for the comments/crits by the way

Intuition
03-25-2003, 06:22 PM
Kewl looking.

Is the little egg with the machine gun going to jump around in the scene blasting evil eggs apart covering the scene with yellow egg yolk?

Or is that just my wish?

Gabman6
03-25-2003, 06:27 PM
:D The world will see whats needed to be seen...

John Fornasar
03-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Also where can i find a diamond metal texture?

down here >

This plate is heavily rusted - I used it for an "abandoned factory" type scene, however, you can play with it in PS to get different effects. I'd do a steel blue to go with the blue of your room. You can also make a bump while you're in there.

If anyone is interested, this tread is in an inaccessible area. With any foot traffic, the diamonds "clean up" immediately.
If you look at the left center of the pic, I just rubbed my shoe sole on the plate to begin shining the diamonds. I cleaned off the entire plate and used that shot as my bump map (real clean conversion), but I seem to have lost it.

hrgiger
03-25-2003, 07:06 PM
I didn't mean to imply that it was lesser quality Gabman6. It just looked like it would be a good game setting. I thought this was maybe a scene with baked in radiosity. Besides, I've seen some pretty amazing games.

You're right though, it does look pretty clean. Some procedurals on the diffuse channels might help.

Gabman6
03-25-2003, 07:17 PM
I was kidding with ya hrgiger... thanks for the texutre John, ill try to use this texture. I'd want to preserve that bluish color, so i might just use it for a bump. Update coming soon.

Comments and Critiques are still welcome....

Rory_L
03-25-2003, 09:02 PM
There are a million ways of making that red rust texture blue. Right there in Lightwave you can do it; but you can also just hit Ctrl U and colourise it in Photoshop!

R

John Fornasar
03-25-2003, 09:08 PM
There are a million ways of making that red rust texture blue. Right there in Lightwave you can do it; but you can also just hit Ctrl U and colourise it in Photoshop!

or, add a key (Shift - Control - U) to desaturate, it'll look like old steel in a B&W photo.

aloysius1001
03-25-2003, 10:16 PM
I'd consider throwing some grunge mattes on the objects to eliminate the cleanliness and maybe an occlusion pass.

Gabman6
03-26-2003, 12:10 AM
aloysius1001, which objects are u talking about...all? Cause some of them i'll leave them clean for reasons. Heres my latest image now... I fixed metal textures, tiling errors, and im still not sure how to fix the whole loading unloading thing (can u help me with that?) All i have for the solution was changing the vertical piece to a metal thing that can extend and stuff (like the ones in airports where u look for your luggage). Think this is Newtek Gallery quality yet?

aloysius1001
03-26-2003, 01:07 AM
Sorry, I may have spoken out of personal taste. But the one thing I'am having problems w/is the shadows under your stairs, seems like they should be darker. I'm having trouble discerning the geometry there because there doesn't seem to be as much depth as there should be. I know I said occlusion pass before, what I was thinking was actually a seperate shadow pass to darken certain areas like the stairs. Another thing is the textures seem really uniform or unbroken, this is where a grunge matte would go a long way to sell the "reality" of the scene. It could also be because I'm at work right now and my crappy computer and monitor are not doing your render justice. Here is a link for info on grunge mattes and occlusion passes:
http://dvgarage.com/garage/a2d/tut/tutpast/tutpast_1_25.php
Click on one of the images of the silver salt shaker tops at the bottom of the page. One of these covers both these subjects, I can't tell because this piece of [email protected]#& computer doesn't have quicktime on it either.

d8ed
03-26-2003, 02:27 AM
i think that whole "is this for a game" question came from the fact that everything looks very sharp. and you're using duplicate texture maps everywhere. that pillar close to the camera is using the same bump map as the wall in the background and the hallway on the left. get rid of that bump writing cuz it's pointless and i dont think anyone can read it. also that luminescent reflective material you've got on the edges is very distracting. another thing.. if those stairs are covered by that metallic bumpy floor thing, the edges of the stairs would have been worn shiny by shoes. so far they look like concrete and not metal at all. it also blends together and it's hard to make out the stairs in the first place.. i'd recommend you only put that metallic texture on the steps and not the risers and maybe use concrete there.

good luck.