PDA

View Full Version : Model backdrop disappears after saving

peteb
05-20-2004, 04:32 PM
I've got images in the backdrop of my model. I've set up a directory correctly, well I think it's correct. I've put the images in a image folder. When I save out and then open up again Lightwave's lost the images and I have to load them all up again, anyone know how to stop this?

Mr_Bester
05-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Is this after you've quit LW? If so, you can just save backdrop and reload it. I think this is intentional, so you don't have a backdrop coming up that you don't need.
Dug

peteb
05-21-2004, 02:54 AM
Yeah it's when I quit and then load it back up. I didn't see a save option for backdrop where abouts is it?

I'm sure it never used to do that in older versions that I used. Why would you want to lose your backdrop. Surely if you save a file it should save the backgrund you were working on as well. If you didn't want it anymore you'd have removed it before saving. I really don't see the logic in that.

Mr_Bester
05-21-2004, 09:14 AM
IIRC, I'm not on my LW Machine, under Backdrop in the options, there is a preset dropdown or Load dropdown, Just go in there and "save all backdrops.
As far as reason, if you are modelling more than 1 thing at a time, it would be a PITA to remember to delete backdrop reload new model, delete that one, reload new model and so on. The backdrop isn't saved with the model, it's a Modeler preference.
Dug

peteb
05-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Cheers for that, you're right it's under a drop down tab.

I still think they should have it so for each seperate object you load up you can assign different backdrops. But seeing as you can just bring it back up again it's not a major problem. Also as far as I could see it's not mention in the manual, I think they should add that you can save them.

iandavis
06-02-2004, 10:03 PM
backdrops are a PAIN in the ***. They need to be loaded every time, and if you want to model something NOT relevant to the backdrop they get in the way. Unless i'm missing something huge.

I'm working on a car right now, and I need to load the file... then go and load the backdrops...

sigh. Oh, make sure you save ALL BACKDROPS not CURRENT, since current will only save the selected viewport and not all of them. and if you have spent a long time positioning, scaling and weaselling the backdrops for each view you may find yourself involuntarily screaming obscenities when you realize your mistake later.

:)

peteb
06-03-2004, 02:59 AM
Agreed.

riki
06-03-2004, 10:12 AM
When you Save Current Backdrop, remember to add the '.cfg' extension.

I could be wrong but I think you can save your backdrop settings for all Viewports in one go, making it much easier to reload.

iandavis
06-03-2004, 12:01 PM
in windows LW will always append the appropriate extension... unless of course you are using win3.1

and careful riki... you said 'current' backdrop, which will save only the backdrop for the selected viewport.

:) Live long and sub-d

riki
06-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Okay a quick test, LW8 is now adding the .cfg extension automatically on the Mac, that wasn't the case with 7. As a side-note it would be great if this feature could be carried across to F9 Renders.

And there is an option to 'Save All backdrops'. Which works, but of course you still have to load the .cfg file manually.

It's a shame you can't map this command to a button.

Kuzey
06-03-2004, 06:44 PM
There have been several feature requests made on this topic.

The first thing we need to have is a unique extension for backdrops, the .cfg is just used by too many files; keyboard layout, backdrops, di tools + many more.

Once that's fixed, then it would be easy to get modeler to look for this extension in the same project folder as the object your loading...if it finds it, it loads with the object.....how easy is that. If there's multiple backdrops then you get a "Please select one backdrop" option.

Also, if you have more than one project open and they all have backdrops, you can trigger the same event each time a project is brought to the front.

Kuzey