PDA

View Full Version : I have no clue...

pro_shine
05-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Hi everybody!

Well as I am still a newbie I am wondering how certain things are done. Like for instance after reading this thread:

Mitten (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20903)

I would like to know how on earth I could create such a mitten? What would be my approach? Because I cannot believe it's done with re-modelling a simple box, right?

Cheers,
bye!

mkiii
05-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Looks like a very simple shape, probably a box that has been subdivided to make it round. A sliced up box with a thumb extruded / bevelled out & a bit of tweaking is all it takes.

It seems that what you need to do is get down to it & try for yourself. Once you have learned the uses of the individual tools via the manual / help files, then these things sort of suggest themselves.

pro_shine
05-21-2004, 07:45 AM
See this is exactly what I don't get when modelling. I have no clue how to model something from a box in this case. It works for me only the first two or three steps and then when I try to hit tab modeller says that only with three or four vertices can be converted to sub-patches. But if I use triple command it destroys my model.

This is a generel problem I have with geometry like for instance how to connect a simple box shaped thing with a cylindrical object - I always end up with a completely destroyed geometry.

Cheers!

reverie
05-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Hi,

It's amazing how some little something you do wrong can destroy your whole model. :)

Why don't you hit "links" on the main Newtek page, go to "LW tutorials online" (Scott Cameron's page), and I think there's a hand modeling project there. If not, there's got to be something similar -- there're so many tutorials on that page. :)

I'm a relative newcomer to LW, too -- since January. I had to read lots of books and tutorials before anything made sense. However, once you "get it," everything seems easy. :)

Jan

P.S. After looking at that thread you cited, it seems that it's the textures that are making the mitten seem so realistic. The mitten itself, I bet, is a squashed, subpatched box with a thumb extruded. 'Course I could be entirely wrong, too. :eek: