PDA

View Full Version : A PC for a Mac user

Oddgit
05-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Ok i want to build a PC for school, i study 3d at the Academy of Art. I have a Dual 2 g5 that i use for everything including LightWave and Maya Complete. But i will soon have classes that require Maya Unlimited and Houdini. I was planning on building one, i really like the opterons, but i really know nothing beyond what my geeky gamer friends tell me. Can anyone give me a few pointers on how to get the most bang for my buck? I do plan on building it, and the only thing i really know how to do on a PC is, log in to it, use various apps, and install and uninstall apps, thats it. I feel confident that i van build one, i just know nothing about the OS.

Chazz
05-20-2004, 02:08 PM
I built a PC recently for school myself (just moved up XSI 4.0 as a student.) I looked at an Opteron, but settled for an Athlon 64. Unless you are going to build a dual machine, the Athlon might be a better deal. Opterons are more expensive, and benchmarks showed that the Opteron isn't all that much faster than the Athlon 64, and in some cases was slower.

I added a GeForce 5700/256 and a Sony flatpanel display...so far the setup works great. It's not quite as nice as my G5, but pretty close.

wacom
05-20-2004, 03:38 PM
If you don't care to mess around too much try this...

http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatcher?target=InventoryPage&action=page&pageNo=2&lob=DIM&sessionID=Atcw1aO8!-2079325356!1687085411!1085086896749&tgtSeg=I

Learn how to search thier data base and you'll be able to find something for cheap that you can slap more RAM and a better video card in for cheap. They come with a year warrenty etc...