PDA

View Full Version : Is There a advantage of LW about Combustion, Plasma or other programs from discreet

iroc3d
05-19-2004, 07:52 PM
Ive worked with LW many years, but in the last years Ive heard about the good performance of programs like Combustion, Plasma, Character Studio, etc from discreet, 3dmaxs creators.
Ive seen graphics made with this programs and they have a beatifull colours and the render is good. I think that 3dmax needs this optional programs because his render is not the best quality, but Can LW get this results with his normal render or it needs too plugins that I dont know?.
I would like to know, because I have the opportunity to learn 3dmax in a course but Idont know if really worse it, because afterward I prefer LW.
Thanks for your opinion guys, and sorry for my English.

UnCommonGrafx
05-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Your English is fine.

What you see out of lw tends to be the natively built in Render of lw. No other rendering engine involved before this year, March. Now there is FPrime that lets you do radiosity NOW, not in hours.

If you are in a class and have lw then I suggest doing all exercises in both apps. That way you have very good comparison opportunities. These will be PRICELESS opportunities.

I envy those of you in school, nowadays. You've got it GOOD!!; make the best of it!

iroc3d
05-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Thanks Robert, Ive heard about FPrime,Is this enginne render a plugin?, or an option that will be in LW 8?. I would like to konw if this FPrime is free, but I dont think that I have so lucky, jejeje.
I m asking because I have LW 7.5, and I would like to know if this F Prime is compatible with this version of LW.
Thanks for your time, once more time.

bloontz
05-19-2004, 08:36 PM
http://www.worley.com/fprime.html
It's not free, it will work with 7.5. If you can afford it, it will change the way you work. It does have certain limitations at the moment, no shaders or volumetrics for instance.

iroc3d
05-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks, Ive seen the Worley Web, It looks great the advantages from this enginne. I Hope have the opportunity to work with this product. But 399, its a high price for me right now. Its a shame, but I m happy to know that LW have options to increase his quality, I ve worried about LW not increase his quakity in reference of other programs...
Thanks, friends

UnCommonGrafx
05-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Happily, friend,
It's a plugin and not cheap. ;)
http://worley.com

Yup, works with lw7.5 and 8. Seems a bit snappier in 8, though that's only with a day and a half with 8.

I had heard rumors that they tried to get it stuffed into 8 but I don't know how true it is. Needless to say, it didn't happen.

For me, this has been a great change in the way I work as texturing is so much easier and straightforward, lighting is REALTIME and radiosity renders are approachable.

For me, there's a lot less Feature Envy at the moment. ;)

iroc3d
05-19-2004, 09:23 PM
I agree with you , Robert. Is good to know that LW is getting better. I always be a fan from this product... I like to know that I m not alone in this idea
Thanks, See u.