PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost?

Dark-Whisper
05-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for texturing, a fairly large model of a factory contains internal and external objects?Using simple image maps mainly.

I'm in the UK!

Dark-Whisper
05-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Untill now I have only had a part time interest in lightwave, but i've been asked if I would like to do the texturing for this model which will be used for a 3d walk around. The only thing is they asked me how much, instead of offering a price. As I have no commercial experience in modelling I would like some sort of benchmark figure.

This is fairly urgent as it needs to be finished by the end of the month.

murdoch
05-19-2004, 08:06 PM
not knowing what commercial experience you have the following is based on having none or very little.

you could try asking if they have a budget, they may surprise or disappoint you. pricing jobs can depend alot on what you feel happy with, especially if you're not familiar with the marketplace you're working in. how much do you know about them? are they reputable? do you have any idea what the job is worth to them?

you can price yourself out at an hourly or daily rate. for example, say 100 a day, how long do you think the work will take? if it's 2 weeks (10 working days) would you be happy with 1000?

here's the important bit - get a purchase order (a piece of letterheaded paper with a reference number that states how much you will be payed), if they're serious they'll know about and work with these. try to get part payment up front with final payment on delivery. i know this sounds daunting but you have to cover yourself unless you're comfortable with and able to wait months for payment. sort your terms out before you start the job and don't forget about amendments, some are acceptable, alot may incur more costs, especially if they've approved work in progress and then changed their minds.

good luck

LAV
05-20-2004, 02:40 AM
Hello!
I have no commercial experience (yet?) but I am testing the ground. I have just read a similar question on a 3d graphic magazine: a 3d graphic artist ask what amount of money he can get from a very simple render of a CAD project (commercial bulding without 3d backround, without complex textures and with 3d objects - cars, humans, trees - got from the net). You guess 3 or 4 working days, maybe a week. The response was €1000-1500 for the italian market. Just for still images, obviously. I'm not sure this is a price you can imagine far from big cities or experienced graphic producers. But they assured this was realistic.
I'm interested in question, so I wait.
Bye

J Martin
05-20-2004, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure what the design scene is like in the UK but here are a few tips from the US.

Don't separate your prices for different aspects of design, that is, one price for modeling and another price for texturing. Pick one price for everything.

Once you determine a price per hour try to estimate how long it takes to do a project. Even if you don't have a lot of experience you probably know it takes you x hours to texture one soda can. Extrapolate from there. And make sure that when you give an estimate it is in writing and the word "estimate" is in bold type. People sometimes think an estimate is a rock solid price. Nope. Projects ALWAYS take longer than expected so don't be afraid to over price your estimate. Maybe add 30% to your best guess. If you come in under, then you're a hero!

You can set a minimum price. Say you charge 50 per hour, you can charge an 8 hour minimum to start the job, and then charge by the hour and any fraction of an hour (15 minutes still equals 50). I would not go with a flat fee. Once clients have you for a flat fee, they feel free to waste your time. I got suckered once for doing some graphic design for $250 because the client didn't have a lot of money. He had me running around so much that I think I made about 20 per hour. Never again. I may loose clients but I will never loose valuable time. Pick a fee and stand firm.

Finally, don't sell yourself short. Car mechanics in Arizona usually charge $65 per hour -- even if they're changing a $1.35 spark plug. Plumbers charge $75. You have valuable skills too (they're asking for you, aren't they?), so you're worth at least that much! :)

Dark-Whisper
05-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Spoke to the people today and discovered it is a very rushed job most of which is needed by Monday then anything extra i get done by Tuesday is a bonus, but i'm getting 250 for Monday and 250 for Tuesday.

They only want basic colouring and placement of a couple of images for signs for Monday, any added realism ie metal effects for Tuesday.

500 ain't bad for two days work, considering in my part time job I get 50 approx. a week for 11 hours.

Thanks for the feedback anyway.

Dark-Whisper
05-20-2004, 07:16 PM
This is definately one complex model (though there's not too much actually in it) took at least 20 mins to save and thats after i removed the 115,000 odd uneccessary points.

(OBJ format imported saved as LWO[11Mb currently] then export as 3DS when complete)

And although i hav'nt got a work station spec pc:

P4 2.8GHz
ATI9700 pro
2*256Mb Corsair 3200LL
120Gb Seagate Baracuda (serial - 8Mb cache)

It seems to take forever to load and save.