View Full Version : Hit me with the cold truth

05-19-2004, 09:43 AM
What happens if I ever loose the USB key.
The key itself doesn't seem very robust and eventually might break or come appart or something.
If such thing ever happen, is there a procedure to follow to prove that Im the rightfull owner of a legal copy of LW and get another USB key?

You don't have to buy another lisence, right?

"Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst".



05-19-2004, 09:49 AM
This has always been my fear.

Supposedly, you can order a new dongle from Newtek. But this may be only in case it breaks, in which case you'd have to return it to Newtek. Not sure how much it costs, but I hear it can a while to get it. You would then have to transfer all your commercial plugins to the new dongle.

05-19-2004, 10:45 AM
I use other Sentinel keys and they can code it with the same information as the previous one. So whatever your dongle ID is the new one would be the same. Therefore plugins wouldn't be affected.
I suspect it would depend on how busy they are in determining how long it would take. My other key could be replaced and shipped by the next day if need be.

05-19-2004, 10:46 AM
$200 and a letter explaining what happened to the dongle. I had to contact them to ask a couple months ago when i moved and couldnt find my dongle. good thing i found it...eventually.

05-19-2004, 11:37 AM
a little while after mine busted a long time ago.. it snapped in half after I jerked it out of the usb port because it got jammed in there somehow... anyways... Newtek got me one for free... my fear though is that if Newtek ever goes under... we could be in trouble...

05-19-2004, 01:26 PM
As long as you have a broken one to exchange there is no problem. Mine stopped working several years ago and exchanging it for a working one was surprising quick and hassle free.

It's getting a replacement for a lost one that is more problematic. My advice is to gaurd it like it's gold so it doesn't get lost or stolen.

05-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Gabe is correct.

If your dongle ever stops working or is physically broken, you can contact Technical Support (1-210-341-8444 or [email protected]), to get an RMA. Once you have the RMA, you can send it in to be repaired or replaced.

If you lose the dongle (no longer are in possesion of it), you will need to contact Customer Service (1-800-TOASTER or [email protected]). There is a charge for a replacement and some paperwork to be filled out. How much paperwork and how much of a charge will depend on the circumstances of the loss.

If you have homeowners or renters insurance, you can specifically list your software on your policy inventory, to help with replacement costs. I have a special rider for all my computers and their software.

05-19-2004, 03:42 PM
maby put it on the scanner and scan a pic of it (both sides) so at least you have evidence that you in fact HAD one and they can check the ID with rightful owner (in this case you).

Even a hand written note under it so you can see your signature and date of scan.

A pic might help your case if it DOES happen.

Else you could drill thru it and use a CASE lock and lock it to your compy. Locks are bulletproof now:D

05-20-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by meshmaster
my fear though is that if Newtek ever goes under... we could be in trouble...

Hopefully if Newtek ever does go under they will release a patch for everyone so that LW will bypass the dongle and just load up like a regular app.

05-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Photograph yourself holding it with your manual / box / receipt (if you still have it!)