PDA

View Full Version : New Option for Units

kmscottmoore
05-19-2004, 08:54 AM
I think this would be fairly simple to implement (?)

I generally model everything in inches, I would prefer to have the option to have Lightwave NOT convert everything into the feet/inches format.

Example: A common sheet for Large format printing is 38" x 50" I would like to leave it as 38 x 50. Instead, if I make a box and type these values in the numeric requester, Lightwave "Helpfully" converts it to 3'2" x 4'2"

If there is already a way to do this, I would love to know about it.

Thanks,
Scott

retinajoy
05-19-2004, 09:55 AM
I fully agree. I am working from designs from dwg files that are in inches. I find the feet/inches annoying. It would be good to have the option for just inches.

kmscottmoore
05-19-2004, 11:01 AM
retinajoy,

This is off-topic, but I though with your avatar description, you might be interested. I posted it awhile back and didn't get much response. :(

retinajoy
05-19-2004, 11:27 AM
A nice looking render that is actually making me thirsty this very moment. A trip to the Pub is in order I think. :D :D :D

My only crit on the image is the hypervoxel water bubbles. Maybe they could be a little smaller and flatter on the Y axis.

omeone
05-21-2004, 01:55 AM
LOL, someone from Milwaukee producing Guinness renders!
btw, the point of the Guinness bottle (which has failed) was that you would drink it direct from the bottle, so the draught pint and bottle would never be seen together :) and the pint would have the condensation, bu the bottle generally wouldn't

omeone ~ 100 yds from St. Jame's Gate

Earl
05-21-2004, 10:40 AM
I know this has been asked for before, but I too would like the option to use decimals instead of inches. Such as: 7.25' as opposed to 7'3"

Though, in some instances, the inches are nice. So a toggle switch would be ideal.

Lynx3d
05-22-2004, 05:37 AM
Just use the metric system and everything will be fine
*runs*
(btw, LW the internal unit of LW actually are meters...)

kmscottmoore
06-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Lynx,

To quote Homer Simpson:

"I can't! It's just so . . . Stupid!"

:p

Actually, at one point there was a big push by the U.S. government to convert. I remember being a school kid in the 70's; we had to learn the metric system because 'In 5 years we will all be using it.' Somehow, that didn't work out. They also told us that all of the gasoline in the world would be used up by 1984. It was called 'Ecology' back then, the word 'Enviromentalism' hadn't caught on yet, but their scientific reasoning was still shaky back then.

Some (somewhat) funny stories about me and the metric system:

Several years ago, my then girlfriend and I decided to make a road trip to Toronto. I had never been to Canada before. Anyway, we got across the border, and one of the first things that I noticed was the signs for gas said $0.75. Woo-hoo!! Then, we got to the QEW, and the Speed Limit sign said 100! I'm thinking: "All right! Canada Rocks!!" About 15 minutes later, when the police pulled me over, he asked me why I was going so fast, I told him I was doing the speed limit. He said he clocked me at 60 over. I told him, No way, my car can't go that fast. The limit was already 100, and that was plenty fast for me. He gave me a ticket anyway. THEN he explained that the speed limit was 100 kph. Which is only 60 mph! What a rip-off.

Later, we decided to go get some of that cheap Canadian gas. I filled up, and the total was over $43. I couldn't believe it!! How did that work? I must be getting ripped off. After the bad experience with the police, I didn't want to cause any trouble, so I just went in and paid.

Still later in the day, we noticed that our cash was running low, so we went to the ATM. It spit out this wierd, multi-colored monopoly money with a picture of an old chick on it!!

It was much later when I realized that all day, people were taking my American money at face value (basically over-charging me 30% on everything.) So much for our friendly neighbors to the North! Not to mention that at the time, the Canadian dollar was falling rapidly, so that every few days the exchange rate got even worse!!

On the way back, we took a detour to Niagara Falls. We stopped at the gift shop. I had learned my lesson by this point. When the lady behind the counter rang up our total, I asked her how much that was in REAL money. For some reason, she seemed offended.:confused: :D

kmscottmoore
06-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Before any Cannucks descend to declare war on us for the previous post:

IT WAS A JOKE!!

Lynx3d
06-02-2004, 08:40 AM
I hope so, would've renewed all my prejudices about US americans ;)

Earl
06-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Lynx3d
Just use the metric system and everything will be fine
*runs*
(btw, LW the internal unit of LW actually are meters...)

I use metric system for all of my personal projects - but when working at an engineering firm I have no choice but to use feet and inches, since that's what most dimensions are given to me in. I know, you can always type in the feet/inches and have LW convert it on the fly. But I'm constantly going back and forth between CAD drawings and it's much easier to simply work in feet.

It would be nice if the US fully converted to metric.

Tim Parsons
06-03-2004, 10:26 PM
WOW!!! kmscottmoore how right you are. This really needs to be implemented. It would be a great option. Same thing happens with millimeters and meters as well. Input 1128mm and you get 1.128 meters. I design furniture with LW and our engineering department uses millimeters and the marketing department uses inches, never meters and millimeters or feet and inches. I can't tell you how much this would help us. Also seeing how our company uses the two different units of measurement, it would be nice to get the Display Options - Units out on the interface. I know these things are small, but man it sure would go a long way to making LW more friendly.

Cheers
Tim