PDA

View Full Version : What version of Lightwave did you start with?

TSpyrison
05-19-2004, 08:13 AM
Just curious how long people have been using Lightwave..

lwaddict
05-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Been a Lightwaver since 5.5 and couldn't be happier with the way it's worked out for me.

This should an interesting poll though...
I've got some ideas about how it'll turn out already,
based on the way the board's been going lately.

By the way.
The site won't let me use the poll above so put me down for 5.5

TSpyrison
05-19-2004, 08:46 AM
yea, All of the sudden i Was curious..
I got hooked with lightwave when i bought my Amiga 2000 Video Toaster..
Right when 2.0 had just ben released..

So that like.. 12 years?
Damn, you'd think i would be good by now

:D

Yog
05-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Why no LW-5.0 ?
It's the version I started on.

TSpyrison
05-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Yog
Why no LW-5.0 ?
It's the version I started on.

Brain fart when i set it up..
Maybe a Moderator could fix that for me..

WilliamVaughan
05-19-2004, 09:18 AM
I started on 5.0

kmscottmoore
05-19-2004, 09:31 AM
TSpyrison,

You left out another option: Inspire 3D.

This was my entry into 3D. (I had tried Ray Dream a few years earlier and couldn't grasp it) About six to eight months after I got it, NewTek had a upgrade offer for Inspire users. (It was either version 5.5 or 6.0 at the time, I honestly can't remember.) I still have my Inspire box in a closet somewhere. . .

I think NewTek has forgoten this: for a lot of people, print artists in particular, looking at getting into 3D is confusing and intimidating. Having an entry-level or cross-over product makes sense.

Also, at the time, Lightwave cost about $2600 a seat, so it was by far the most expensive program I ever would have bought (up to that point) I know they made the $900 offer to Mac users a while back, but it's not a low enough price point for someone making the switch.

One of the things that attracted me to Inspire (and help me get up and running) was the excellent tutorial CD that came with it. A LOT more helpful to a new user than the manual that came with 6 or the new "Robo-help" flash file.

The dumbest thing that NewTek did with Inspire was to leave out the @&#$*!! numerical control. There was a lot of other stuff they could have left out to make it 'junior' to Lightwave. I almost immediately bought a plug-in to fill that gap; without it, I probably wouldn't have gotten as far as I did.

Joker II
05-19-2004, 09:45 AM
I just bought it today :D and no, I'm not joking ;)

Greetz,
Joker ;)

robewil
05-19-2004, 10:09 AM
I remember how amazed I was when I saw Allen Hasting's "Infinite Loop" animation back in 1986. (I still have a copy of this animation on VHS stored in my closet.) Videoscape 3D hadn't even been released yet and I was already hooked. "Infinite Loop" featured the Amiga beachball opening up to reveal a Lotus driving down a road and into a tunnel. Later, there is a spaceship and it all ends up back to the Amiga beachball, thus being a loop.

Earl
05-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Started on 5.0 as well.

prospector
05-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Gee..when ya get to the early versions 3 and earlier, I feel like an old fart:D

And one of these days I'll learn to make good boxes and post pics to prove I am learning.:)

lede
05-19-2004, 02:18 PM
I hear ya prospector. I started about then and I still can't even get the basic concepts:D 10 years and I've only just learned what primitives are.

-Lee

jamesl
05-19-2004, 02:44 PM
Started with Aegis Videoscape 3d and Modeler when I was 18 years old. Weee!

j

hrgiger
05-19-2004, 06:13 PM
I started on Lightwave 6.5 but I noticed when I went to art school back in 1990 that my computer art class was on the Amiga. I'm wondering if that wasn't an early version of Lightwave.

John Fornasar
05-19-2004, 09:24 PM
LW4 when it was first released (traded training programs I was writing for seat time), bought in for the 6.0 release.

GruvSyco
05-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Started with Inspire and upgraded to 6 but, didn't actually use LW until 7.5.... so, I voted 7.0-7.5

Vincent Brumbac
05-19-2004, 09:33 PM
I actually started out with Sculpt-Animate 4D on a Amiga500. First Lightwave was version 3.5 which was so cool at the time.

Cheers,

Vincent D. Brumback

Beamtracer
05-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Nobody could have started on LW8, as it has still not been released as a stand-alone unit.

Only the pre-orders have shipped. So, anyone who pre-ordered would have got LW7.5 first, before receiving LW8.

Signal to Noise
05-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Unofficially...erm...LW 3D 5 I think. Whichever one it was at the time New Riders' book Inside LightWave 3D
(blue one) was freshly out.

But I selected LightWave 7.5 on the poll because that is when I decided to buy the software. Now I'm using [8]:)

Matt
05-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Had a bit of a play with v3.5 on the Amiga, but only seriously started using it from v5 on the Mac, them moved to PC on v7.

Now I'm waiting to see what happens in v8.5 / 9 before I move up!

WizCraker
05-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Started on 5.0 as well.

hazmat777
05-20-2004, 12:59 AM
My screen name thing says "newbie" but that's just on Lightwave. My brother and I actually wrote a review for Spectrum 512 for an Atari ST magazine back when that was pretty big news. I think they sent us $140.00 bucks, but it's been so long it might have been less and I forgot.

The funny thing about our review is that after they recieved it they wanted us to re-submit it in a WP program format that we didn't have. After a month or two they published it anyway, but had almost completely re-written it! The bad part was that with their re-write they got some facts wrong but still gave us writing credit!

I'll be starting with LW 8.0. (LONG CG hiatus!)

hazmat777
05-20-2004, 01:03 AM
Ooops! Not Specrum 512! It was the update to Spectrum 512 dubbed "Unispec". :D

colkai
05-20-2004, 02:55 AM
I started on 4.0 second-hand version, at the time, LW5.0 was about half-way through its lifespan though.
Skipped that and jumped to 5.6C

If my day job didn't drain me so much, I'd have more time, I *really* should be better with LW than I am., but then, I really should be paid more too! :p

Emmanuel
05-20-2004, 05:55 AM
4.0 Amiga back in 97.came from caligari24, then Imagine, then C4D which I used 2 years before I switched to LW 4.0 (with Sparks-plugin :) ).
Was mighty impressed with the artwork of Ultima 9 at the time, where the chars where modeled in LW AFAIK, and even more when good old SplineGod sent me a screeny of his Rhino-model (the Spider-Man villain).
Way to go, Larry ;)

mlinde
05-20-2004, 10:27 AM
I voted 5.5, but I've got a box for 5.0 that says I started there...

Jockomo
05-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by proton
I started on 5.0

noob :p

I started on 1.0 on the VT. I was working for Rex Olson at RAVE Video (Desktop Images now) at the time. This guy named Lee Stranahan came in with some awesome graphics for some kind of race car project we were doing at the time. He suggested we check ou this Video Toaster thing and so Rex bought one. I really fell in love with lightwave at that time, plus I edited most of Lee's first videos, so I was forced to watch Lee teach about LW and the Toaster over and over and over and over and over and ....
It was a great introduction to Lightwave, but boy did I get tired of listening to Lee, those tapes are long enough to watch, imagine editing them.

tasmanian
05-21-2004, 05:33 AM
My first version of Lightwave (after having used Sculpt 4D, Caligari and Imagine) was actually some version of Lightwave with some program called Lightrave, right before the official 3.5 standalone release came out.

Anyone remember this Lightrave ? Was it even legal ?:)

JDaniel
05-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Addicted since version 5.5
!:eek: :eek:

Lightwolf
05-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by tasmanian
My first version of Lightwave (after having used Sculpt 4D, Caligari and Imagine) was actually some version of Lightwave with some program called Lightrave, right before the official 3.5 standalone release came out.

Me too, I used Imagine prior to that and had looked at some other software too.
I guess Videoscape doesn't count as LW -1.0 and LW 0.0, does it? ;)

Anyone remember this Lightrave ? Was it even legal ?:)
I had one too, and I don't think it really was, but it got NT to release LW standalone :D
Cheers,
Mike

GruvSyco
05-21-2004, 11:33 AM
*sigh* you guys make me feel old. I remember buying Sculpt 3D and Animate 3D for my Amiga 1000 when they first came out. Sadly, I never did much more then creat spheres in them.

dwburman
05-21-2004, 12:46 PM
I bought Inspire then ugraded to Lightwave at 5.6 with a free upgrade to 6 when it came out. I don't remember that wait being as bad as the wait for 8 (still haven't gotten it) but that may just be because I wasn't reading forums that much.

My first LW experiences were on LW2.x and then LW4.x on the video toaster. I guess I could've picked that version but I bought in at 5.6.

TSpyrison
05-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Wow, im in the oldest 9% :)

hey wait.. does that mean im old?

Intuition
05-21-2004, 05:13 PM
I got 4.0 in 1995. It was great as My first program that I learned on was called Crystal Topaz. Lightwave made alot the elements in Crystal topaz much more organized and ituitive.

Primarily made Text logos and 3d product animations.

upgraded when to 5.0 then again when 5.6 came out. Oh yes Hypervoxels were the order of the day. I also remember the Open GL preview was made in 5.0+ version. Was awesoe to see (even low res) a texture in the preview window.

Then waited until 6.5 to upgrade again. 6.0 introduced radiosity and caustics I believe. But was nearly impossible to animate with. I think 6.0 moved the polygon limit from 60,000 up to 120,000 per model right? Was 6.0 the time they introduced object layers? or was that 5?

Have stayed current ever since. Anytime there is a release I usually need it asap.

went on to 7.0 and then 7.5 whcih had great new lighting settings and an in OpenGL particle preview (awesome) and got 8.0 almost a month ago. One of the first peeps to have it I believe.

LW has come a long way.

SplineGod
05-21-2004, 07:53 PM
I started off with videoscape and used something called 3Demon for modeling before modeler 3D came out. Before that it was graph paper and typing in coords. There was such a plethora of 3D apps for the amiga at the time. I used Draw 4D which later became Aladdin 4D, Pagerender 3D, Sculpt 3D and later sculpt animate, Turbo Silver, Imagine, Hash Animation Master, A NURBS modeler by Fori called Freeform, Caligari which was $3000 at the time and is now called Truespace, Cinema3D, Tornado 3D, Read 3D. At the time I was living in albuquerque and we had lots of people in the area who would show up to the amiga users group who did development like Eric Graham (sculpt 3D) and Brad Carvey (Video Toaster). Marvin Landis would also show up from time to time. Ive used a ton of 3D apps over the years.
My first graphics apps were Aegis Image and Aegis Animator which was a cool vector based animation package on an Amiga 1000 with 256k of ram, one floppy and no hard drive. :)

kfiram
05-21-2004, 08:09 PM
LightRave here too.
And a cracked copy of LightWave 3.0 (sorry Newtek - I did buy 4.0 eventually).
On an Amiga 4000.
Prior to that: Scult Animate, Real3D (the first piece of software I actually bought - for $2000, mind you), Imagine, Cinema and Caligary.

TSpyrison
05-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Before that it was graph paper and typing in coords.

So far I think you've taken the cake :)

SplineGod
05-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Yea, modeling wasnt nearly as fun as it is now. :)

dwburman
05-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Larry,
you have me beat. :) I remember looking at the manuals for the C=64 and seeing how you're supposed to program sprites. I was too impatient to do much 3D in those days. Not only was if difficult to make but it wasn't necessarily easier to turn the stills into an animation and have them fit on a floppy.

My first anim package was probably Zoetrope on the Amiga. I also had Aegis Animator at some point. Eventually I bought Brilliance. Those were the days. When one of the best graphics programs on the platform was less than $200 (I think). Of course, you could bring up JASC's paint program and Gimp for Linux today... Remind me again why I paid $600+ for Photoshop CS :D

SplineGod
05-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Hey Cool!
I was actually a beta tester for Electronic Arts for Deluxe Paint and they accidently spilled the beans to a group of us they flew ou to meet with about the AGA chipset.
I was also a beta tester for Digital Creations (later known as Play Inc) for Brilliance and DCTV. I believe some of my art was included with DCTV.
I originally bought an amiga to program and got into the artwork stuff by accident. I was also a big user of Digitpaint3. Once cool thing about Digipaint was that it allowed you to paint in the odd or even field of video. I had built a circuit that would take an NTSC video signal and drive some LCD shutter glasses. This allowed you paint in 3D while the glasses were worn. :) I also
did some animations in sculpt animate then I would change the camera slightly and render the same animation from that 2nd camera view. I wrote an arexx script to comp the two animations in a single Stereo 3D animation. I could play it out of the amiga in real time and record it to tape. I would then plugin in little black box I built and the glasses and watch Stereo 3D animations in a big screen TV. It was a lot of fun. :)

TSpyrison
05-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Man Larry thats pretty geekish!

hang on.. i have to remotely mow my lawn using my PDA as a controller of the lawnmower through the wireless network and wireless netcam system here in the house...

SplineGod
05-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Yes it is. Sometimes this stuff seems a lot more fun in those days. :)

Lynx3d
05-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Larry, you sound like a perfect real-world example of the character "Sid" from userfriendly.org, just in the graphics industry :D