PDA

View Full Version : To VT3 or not to VT3

williamb
05-19-2004, 04:17 AM
Hi everyone…looking for advice/re-assurance!

Very soon I will be buying a NLE system. Through all my research, it seems VT3 offers the best package both in uncompressed editing and comprehensive (lightwave) integration.

However…I’ve been out of the video production for over a year (due to being crippled from food poisoning will shooting for the news! I’m OK now) My dollars are tight and feel a level of anxiety purchasing a new NLE…so naturally, wanting to know I’m doing the right thing.

I could invest in a DV NLE, but I am troubled by quality limitation of DV because I will be pushing TV’C’ Docos etc. I run BETA SP

I have to set up business from the start, so before I invest in the VT3 perhaps some one could share their honest thoughts about VT3.

Plus…I’ve got to sell the wife on this…So more nice things please…hehe

Thanks

William

ps...I had a VM STUDIO, FAST Machine, finally has died (at Last)

robewil
05-19-2004, 10:32 AM
I, for one, really love my VT-3. I also use Premiere Pro at work and I prefer VT over Premiere Pro in 80% of the operations I do. VT-3's interface may take a little getting used to if you are familiar with other strictly timeline-based editors. Once you get used to simultaneous storyboard/timeline editing, you'll never want to go back. The featureset and video quality of VT-3 is top-notch with the exceiption of a woefully inadequate set of audio tools where Premiere Pro definitely has an advantage. But VT-3 blows Premiere Pro away in video control with its spline-base controls for picture-in-picture, 3D rotation, picture size, drop shadows and transparency. Having Aura and Lighwave included gives you even more capabilities.

So, in short, I say "To VT3".:)

ted
05-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Like you, I own my own small business, my GFX/Lighting guy, my Audio guy and myself.
Like you, I also mostly use Beta SP for quality. Although DV is getting better.

The investments we make are VERY critical. So after A LOT of research, I went with VT and NewTek.
VT is so flexible, you'll find ways to make income you might not have with a stand alone NLE, i.e. live events, playing back content you created for them on your VT just for one.
I don't think you'll be sorry.

BUT, I'll strongly recommend finding a Great dealer and getting a "Real World Demo", on what you plan to do on a daily basis. No system is right for all, but VT seems to be the best al around production tool for any business.

I'll second..."to VT".