PDA

View Full Version : LW8 OGL Problems?

erich
05-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Anyone else experiencing this? When I go into single view OGL mode and cycle through the variuos view options (wireframe, texture, etc) the display randomly disappears! What I mean is that if I am in wireframe mode, my object shows up, but if I go to some other mode, e.g. texture, then my object disapears and all I see is a completly grey screen - the object is gone (hidden)! But, if I then go to weight map mode, it displays properly again. Then if I go to sketch mode, it again disappears and all I see is a completely grey screen!

This appears to be completely random, if I keep cycling through different modes, sometimes I will see my object and other times I don't. My object is very low polys - maybe 12 or so and I am using a video card that has worked very well for me in LW7.5 - NVidia GeForce4 TI 4200, AGP 8X and dual monitors.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this a bug? I have never had this problem before. It started after installing LW8!

I forgot to mention this is in modeler.

hrgiger
05-18-2004, 09:33 PM
I have the same problem. Usually when I switch from full screen to 4 viewport mode. Also it happens on startup in both modeler and Layout. It's really annoying. I've found an easy way to fix it in modeler is to hit a to zoom in to the object it clears it up right away but it comes back again as soon as I switch to full screen. I hope they fix this with the first point update.

Getting the latest video drivers doesn't help either.

prospector
05-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Same here
HMMM Ti4200 too

which will be gone in 3 days.:D

TyVole
05-19-2004, 04:58 AM
This happens with one of my computers, but not the other. They both use the same type of card (a lowly MX 420), only one is PCI (refresh problems) and the other AGP (no problems.) And both are using the same driver version (4403).

Strange indeed.

jeanphi
05-19-2004, 05:16 AM
Same here. At modeler start up, the left/right view is empty.
If I open then close the display pannel, a view randomly disappear too.
AMD and Intel pros with NV GF FX.

brap
05-19-2004, 07:13 AM
This topic should be made a Sticky, as I have a suspicion that many users are going to do what I did, and waste half a day trying out various display drivers to see if they can make the problem go away.

This bug occurs both in Modeler and in Layout, Mac and PC and there seems to be several different ways in which it manifests itself:

- Viewports randomly go blank when LW is hidden, and then brought back to the foreground.
- Viewport goes blank when switching to wireframe from another display mode, particularly when zoomed in tight on details
- Graph Editor often comes up blank

Apparently, selecting the Simple Wireframe Edges and Points in Modeler has helped for some, but not for me.
I find that switching to 16 bit display mode cuts down significantly on the number of blank widows I get.

Last I heard they had not yet pinned down what is causing the problem, so please post your spec info and details here,
and send them to [email protected]

Hopefully we'll get an 8b ASAP!!

brap
05-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by prospector
Same here
HMMM Ti4200 too

which will be gone in 3 days.:D

prospector, let us know if upgrading from the 4200 does it for you. I'm on the same board.

brap
05-19-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by TyVole
This happens with one of my computers, but not the other. They both use the same type of card (a lowly MX 420), only one is PCI (refresh problems) and the other AGP (no problems.) And both are using the same driver version (4403).

Strange indeed.

I think the one common denominator so far though, is NVidia hardware.

mattclary
05-19-2004, 08:35 AM
I think the one common denominator is the upgrade to 8 with all of it's OpenGL "enhancements". ;)

mattclary
05-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Bump.

Erich, it just filtered down, dude. Don't get your panties in a wad. ;)

erich
05-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Thasnks Matt. My mistake. I did a search using my username and it didn't come up, so I thought it was removed.

My Bad :D

Elmar Moelzer
05-20-2004, 06:49 PM
OK, so let me get that right:
It happens in Layout as well?
This would be really strange since the OpenGL- code of these two apps has almost nothing in common...
CU
Elmar

erich
05-20-2004, 09:03 PM
I have only seen the problem in modeler. Not to say it can't be in layout as well though.

brap
05-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Elmar Moelzer
OK, so let me get that right:
It happens in Layout as well?
This would be really strange since the OpenGL- code of these two apps has almost nothing in common...
CU
Elmar
yup. The graph editor is particularly bad. :(

I did a little test today that I thought might gives some clues.
I'm in Modeler and the two top windows are blank. Grab the app edge and start scalling it in. The whole interface rapidly flashes, and every so often I can see the geometry in the blank windows appear. If I manage to stop scalling exactly when I see the geometry appear, the window is no longer blank. Until it happens next time, of course.

prospector
05-21-2004, 08:50 AM
don't ya just hate that Brap?
well the board (X800) is in town and will be delivered sometime today.
Will update by tonight here on board.
I'll know right away if it works well, just by opening modeler and testing the spreadsheet in Layout.

amorano
05-22-2004, 09:29 AM
I am having a slightly different problem.

My menus randomly decide to open in different places when I go to use them. See the pic.

http://www.onarom.com/menus.jpg

Oddly, they work, just, detached. :(

Using both an Nvidia 5200fx and a 5700

I have tried using older drivers, turning off my control panel, etc etc...... Hope there is a solution.

prospector
05-22-2004, 09:00 PM
IT'S IN !!!!!

Test here
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23457

This is part A

IversonDesign
12-27-2004, 09:12 AM
Greetings,
I am experiencing similar greyed or Blanked out windows using Modeler.
I am running Lightwave 8.01 on a new Duel 2.5Ghz G5 with an NVidia 6800 Ultra video card and 30" monitor.
The problem first appeared for me when using more than one layer in subpatch mode. I found I could make the blank windows (usually the bottom left and right windows) redraw correctly by turning off the subpatch layer I created. I first thought it was perhaps related to polygon count, but curiously as I created additional object layers. The problem seemed to go away but actually switched to a different layer - causing the same blanked out screen effect if this other layer was made active. As I created other new layers, the problem disappeared and reappeared associating itself with different layers with out obvious pattern.
Hopefully the next update addresses this bug.

theo
12-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Nvidia Quadro FX 1100 graphics board here- never experienced this bug ever in either Modeler or Layout and use them both for at least 40 hours a week.