PDA

View Full Version : single camera angular fisheye lens setup

composermanII
03-24-2003, 01:36 PM
I need to create a sequence that will be projected on a dome surface(the entire surface of the dome). I want to accomplish this with a single camera. From what I understand it needs to be an angular fisheye projection. I cannot seem to come up with the correct camera settings. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Troy McCellan

Skonk
03-25-2003, 08:40 AM
Im not 100% sure but i think just zooming the camera out (zoom in the camera panel, 0.3 or somthing like that) so that the field of view is quite large should give u a fish eye effect.

James..

hrgiger
03-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Check out the projection plug-in at: http://www.arrakis.es/~juanj/

It does things like fish-eye views.

composermanII
03-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'll give them a shot.

Digital_red
03-26-2003, 12:23 PM
You could try creating a small sphere in modeler, giving it a completely reflective surface with 0 diffuse.
Then in layout parent it to your camera. Very close to the camera lens so it fills the camera view.
Then aim the camera in the opposite direction to what you want to render and switch on ray traced reflections.

You could even create squashed morph map in modeler to animate the fish eye distortion whit the morph mixer.

Hope that makes sence

composermanII
03-26-2003, 02:35 PM
That process sounds interesting. I'll give that a try as well.

Thanks,

Troy McClellan

Gui Lo
03-26-2003, 11:37 PM
composermanII,
I used the same idea proposed by Digital_red.
I was pleased with the results but not sure how authentic they are.

Anyway the results are hereSaab animation (http://homepage.mac.com/valanchan/iMovieTheater16.html)

Gui Lo

starbase1
03-27-2003, 06:54 AM
Re the reflective sphere...

I'm not sure about getting close to it. I think you'd need to project accurately, you need to do as follows:

Pull the camera back a loooooong way, and zoom in a lot, so you are getting a near isometric view. You should then be able to apply this to a hemisphere as an image map.

I think this will reduce distortion a lot, but you will probably have to render rather large for the map to look good in the final scene, (but much less so for reflection maps I think).

Repeat upside down for the map for the bottom half.

If you use the complete sphere as a mirror, (or all the top half), you will get the lot in one image, but I have no idea how you would map the image on the outer parts of the mirror ball to the bottom half of the final sphere.

Cheers,
Nick