PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, I have a question that is bugging me!

DJinNY
05-18-2004, 05:35 PM
I am in college right now for Computer Science (well, the semester just ended). I am actually learning programming, game design and lightwave on the side.

Now my question--how many of you have run into your job's being eliminated due to overseas outsourcing? Has anyone actually lost a design job to india or some other 3rd world country?

I am always concerned about the Job outlook in my field, because I have invested so much time and money into my education! Its hard to sit here and learn something that is closing up or going away to another country.

pauland
05-19-2004, 01:33 AM
I think that corporations will always follow the lowest cost base and that includes other fields besides development. While there is a move in that direction, I'm sure it won't eradicate the development market in the U.S.

It's been a long while since I was at college studying CS. I (much) later went freelance and have seen that market shrink greatly here in the UK. My only regret about the times I studied CS are that I didn't broaden my education to include business practices, Marketing and Graphic Design.

What is for certain is that the tools you are taught in College will become obsolete very quickly and your (self) education must never stop if you want to keep working. In my current Freelance assignment I spend more time using new skills developed since I started, than those I was originally employed for.

This is an uncertain world. Use what you know to the best advantage, always learn new skills and follow your (informed) nose.

Good Luck.

Paul