PDA

View Full Version : 3Dlabs Wildcat VP990pro

JOHNNYD
05-18-2004, 05:15 PM
I was thinking of getting this card and was wondering if anyone is using it with lightwave....if so, what are your thoughts?..Thanks

WizCraker
05-18-2004, 05:35 PM
I think Matt used an older version of this card before it supported DX9 [that is if you play games]. It does support openGL 2.0 the new specs which of all companies 3D Labs happens to be the one responsible for the shading language among other things.

LMUSIC
05-18-2004, 09:57 PM
I just installed the Wildcat VP880 Pro. I really like the speed!

On another machine I have an Oxygen card, it has been my favorite for quite a while. (the same folks make both)

The only thing I wish was different is the way they handle dual screens.

On the card I replaced (Matrox G440), the desktop spread across the two monitors seamlessly. Application windows reopened where they were last positioned.

With the VP880, the panels in Lightwave (like surface editor, scene editor, and all dialogs) open on the 'primary' display. So I have to move them to the secondary display. When I close them, they will open the next time on the primary display again (so I have to move them again).

Usually I just leave them open, so it is not much of a problem. But after not having to do that with the old card, it is a nuisance.

I tried using their window manager, but it caused the LW menus for the main Modeler and Layout windows to show up on the last opened panel. This is not good at all. I disabled their window manager.

I upgraded to LW8 and the new card at the same time, so I can't tell if some of the abnormalities are due to LW8 or the video card software.

Even with all of that, I like the performance of the card enough that I won't be going back to something else.