PDA

View Full Version : Rotating colour palettes - possible?

starbase1
05-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Hi All,
I am trying to make the colours in a gradient change with time.

I have a nice abstract picture, with a range of colours, applied via a gradient. And I want an effect like you get when those fractal pictures rotate the colour palette. Is this possible in LW?

Cheers,
Nick

toby
05-18-2004, 04:49 PM
how about using an envelope on the color channels, then use difference layers for textures to mix up the colors?

riki
05-18-2004, 08:48 PM
You could also texture it with a Quicktime. Which might be an option if your trying to simulate a fractal effect created in another app.

starbase1
05-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Toby, I don't see how you CAN apply an envelope on a colour channel of a gradient point - that is what I was trying to get at. The graph editor lets you do this for simple colours, but I cannot see how to set the RGB envelope for a point on a gradient.

I'm still on LW 7.5, in case that makes a difference...

Cheers,
Nick

toby
05-19-2004, 01:07 PM
no, you can't key gradients, I meant the channels of the base color, using layers set to 'difference' to add variation - you'd have to experiment, 'cuz I don't know what look you want.

Or you could just do the sensible thing and use an animated texture like riki said - it's what any studio would do, it's just not complicated enough for me :cool:

btw, anybody know what the heck this:
:o
is supposed to mean/express?

starbase1
05-19-2004, 01:22 PM
I think that :o is meant to be a yawn!

But the Good news is that IFW textres supports the colour enveloping I want, and I am playing with it right now...

First render chugging out as an anim as I type!

Nick

UnCommonGrafx
05-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Is that you, Nick?

Great to see you've got something going.
Mails been slow on yahoo so allow me to repeat it here:
No, not dumb at all: it ain't in there. And for what I'm speaking of, it's all in the IFW so lw versions don't matter.
This is one of the biggest requests I've seen, though; to have animatable lw gradients.

Nope, still talking about the IFW panel. All of them have a phase control for moving your color points left or right of center. I believe that if you do this small test, you will see what I mean:
- Open viper and make it itty bitty. - load a plane and fill the screen
- add the same IFW you've been working on onto the plane. Animate the phase from 0 to 1 to 0.
- Make a preview in viper.

I LOVE THIS METHOD for previewing IFW animation settings. Very easy to spot mistakes. Should be quite easy on the cpu. If you have a monster machine, the size of the viper screen can be increased to increase your joy. ;)

Oh, and in another thought I had, I have added it to the Texture World, as well, which alleviates the need for the plane. Hope that helps.

Later,