PDA

View Full Version : No more Buzz

cavalos
05-18-2004, 10:26 AM
There are no news about LW8 on CG Channel, there are no scandal, joy or noise...What happen? I remember those LW6-7 days when the new version was always a major event...How sad.

Christian

Jean-Paul Lar.
05-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Its not officialy out yet. They still havent fufilled all the preorders yet. Once they release it im sure there will be some reviews and hype.

cagey5
05-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Well don't forget it's still not officially released. They're still at the stage of fulfilling the back orders. I'm sure things will get moving once the full box sets and manuals are available and orders can be received.

WilliamVaughan
05-18-2004, 11:26 AM
That's correct....Full versions arent out yet....once Pre-Orders are taken care of then Full orders can go out and then the reviewers sould get going....hopefully soon!

cavalos
05-18-2004, 03:18 PM
This release seems to be a litlle update insted of a full and a new version. I`ve seen a couple of posts saying "the renderer is slower than before"...I hope NT can do something before the oficial release arrive to the stores.

wacom
05-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by cavalos
This release seems to be a litlle update insted of a full and a new version. I`ve seen a couple of posts saying "the renderer is slower than before"...I hope NT can do something before the oficial release arrive to the stores.

I've seen a lot of posts saying the new hard dynamics are cool, as is having a refinded soft and cloth dynamics set, dope sheet, dope track, improved and new IK tools, multipul undos, intergrated help, plenty of new content and more.

Hmmm...sounds like an a good update to me.

I have FPrime though...so my rendering future isn't so dependent on when NewTek updates thier own renderer, more the SDK issue(s).

theo
05-19-2004, 09:04 AM
I am using LW on a project right now and in some areas it has met or exceeded my expectations and in others I am very disappointed. I am turning into a save scene/save all objects neurotic due to the 3-8 crashes per 12 hour work cycle. So this balance of great and not-so-great is really causing me to look at LW8 in a more level sense with no real strong desire either way.

The renderer is not, in my opinion after considerable use, an improvement over LW7.5, in the area of volumetrics especially.

The updated dynamics interface is probably the one area that I can truly say is remarkable and sweet but beyond that the crashes I am consistently having are just wearing me out and are tempering my enthusiasm greatly.

One of the issues this week has been the fact that no matter how and where I save my extra surface, voxel and volumetric files as well as other specific critical motions LW8 just refuses to consistently load them in. At times yes, other odd times, no. So every scene that is opened has to be checked thoroughly to make sure all of the settings have been loaded properly. And yes, save all objects is employed constantly. And with a scene full of volumetrics, crazy surfacing and more this is a pain.

This may be because LW8 is running almost 15 hours per day but I am just stumped. And this particular scene has over a million polys with other effects on top so who knows. A neurotic I shall become.

brap
05-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Yes, Newtek, please clear as many bugs out of 8 as possible before the final release. The current "pre-release" of 8 is a good start, but needs some serious work in the stability department. In addition to the "blank windows" bug, I also have been experiencing a lot of crashing.

Edbittner
05-20-2004, 05:55 AM
Just a quick question. Proton said," Full versions aren't out yet". What version are WE getting? (pre-orderers).
Ed
S*R* PRODUCTIONS

brap
05-20-2004, 07:46 AM
I think what he meant was the boxed version with the manual.
But it definitely would behoove them to clean up a few glaring issues before pressing the final cds.

behoove, sounds kind of bovine, as in LW cow? sheesh, need to get outdoors more!