PDA

View Full Version : Friends of NewTek Update!

kurv
05-18-2004, 10:15 AM
We have new LightWave user groups pending!!!!!!!!

In addition to the user groups we have listed on our site in:

CA - Bay Area, Los Angeles, Sacramento
CO - Littleton
FL - Weston
MO - Arnold
NM - Albuquerque
TX - Dallas, Houston
WI - Milwaukee

Australia
Finland
Germany
Greece
New Zealand
Italy
Mexico
Malaysia
United Kingdom

We have pending groups working on being setup in...

CO - Longmont
PA - Sewickley
OR - Tigard
VA - Yorktown

and we have placed several users looking for groups...

Lots of work to do... but things are going VERY well for the first month!!

WilliamVaughan
05-18-2004, 11:26 AM
let's see this list get longer....I know I have seen posts of more user groups here on teh boards

koots
05-18-2004, 12:32 PM
anyone in the NH area??
i would like to start one

phil lawson
05-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Anyone in the North of Ireland? Surely I couldnt have been the only one in the country to get [8]. :D

omeone
05-19-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by phil lawson
Anyone in the North of Ireland? Surely I couldnt have been the only one in the country to get [8]. :D

probably

Gabe
05-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Great idea but I can't figure out how to contact any of the users looking for groups in my area. Do I have to just wait until an Oregon area group is officially formed or can I get the ball rolling myself by contacting some of the people on the list? I've wanted a Portland area group for years but could never drum up any interest on Newtek's user group forum.

Lude
05-19-2004, 10:52 AM
hi phil,

Im in Coleraine so there are at lest 2 of us :p

phil lawson
05-19-2004, 12:12 PM
lol, Nice one Lude...dont feel just as alone now :)

omeone
05-19-2004, 02:58 PM
I know another guy in Belfast, goes by the monicker of 'chrispo', quite a good artist, but has got a bit of an attitude to go with it, I'll pass on the info if ye want.

Bones_3DFC
05-20-2004, 11:09 AM
No - not chrispo - he's a saint ;)

I was looking around and I think Milwaukee has the best-looking
site. http://milwaukeelightwaveusers.com
I don't know why - just my oppinion.
Still have to link back to Friends of NewTek, somehow.

kurv
05-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by koots
anyone in the NH area??

Register on the site here (http://www.friendsofnewtek.com/single_user.php) Koot, I am sure we will have others follow to join your group :)

Originally posted by phil lawson
Anyone in the North of Ireland? Surely I couldnt have been the only one in the country to get [8].

Register as a user looking here (http://www.friendsofnewtek.com/single_user.php) :)... that seems to draw others out since they see one person in there area...

Originally posted by Gabe
Great idea but I can't figure out how to contact any of the users looking for groups in my area. Do I have to just wait until an Oregon area group is officially formed or can I get the ball rolling myself by contacting some of the people on the list? I've wanted a Portland area group for years but could never drum up any interest on Newtek's user group forum.

Gabe, contact me about running / starting a new group there... We were careful not to allow people to contact others on the site as we did not want them getting a lot of unwanted email from the site :) ... Let me know what you would like to do and I will get everyone together in your area... contact me here (http://www.friendsofnewtek.com/contact_us.php)

Originally posted by Lude
hi phil,

Im in Coleraine so there are at lest 2 of us.

You guys register I guarantee others will register as well... register here (http://www.friendsofnewtek.com/single_user.php)

Originally posted by omeone
I know another guy in Belfast, goes by the monicker of 'chrispo', quite a good artist, but has got a bit of an attitude to go with it, I'll pass on the info if ye want.

Please be sure to register here (http://www.friendsofnewtek.com/single_user.php) so we can help you as well...

Originally posted by Bones_3DFC
No - not chrispo - he's a saint

I was looking around and I think Milwaukee has the best-looking
site.
I don't know why - just my opinion.
Still have to link back to Friends of NewTek, somehow.

Thanks!!! We are not trying to make things difficult by having everyone register on the site... we just need a way to organize all of it. We are setting up a database online currently as well...

Thanks for your patience with us, I am sure that the more we do this the more streamlined the process will be :)

omeone
05-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Bones_3DFC
No - not chrispo - he's a saint ;)

aw, cant I be nice some of the time? ;)

Thanks Kurv, tis a noble effort I reckon this must be costing you a nice bit too, so it is appreciated, even if I never do meet another LW'er face to face.

flyeredits
05-21-2004, 08:13 AM
I have attempted to do a NH users group for a while but have never quite been able to coordinate the location availability. How about trying for a early to mid June in Manchester or Londonderry?

There used to be a monthly group that met at the ancient Amiga dealer System Eyes in Nashua and more recently there was one in Boston at North Eastern University which ended when NE switched their software for their animation program to something other than LW.

Rob Boyce

Originally posted by koots
anyone in the NH area??

Bones_3DFC
05-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Did this quickly and it looks ok on our LWUG page.
Anyone may manipulate/use it if so desired.

philip kelly
05-26-2004, 03:47 PM
Hi
First of all I am not yet a lightwave user.
I intend to be soon.
Having a lightwave community would be a serious help and even save a fortune on training and help questions.
I am formz and artlantis user in work.
I have played around with a demo of 7 and likedit, but the most attractive thing about lw is the sheer amount of plygones you can throw at it and it will still render and not crash.So if anybody gets a community set up in ireland be it north or south,hell lets be honest its all the one......only ..joking , let me know.
Do you guys recomend the switch tolightwave at all.
advise would be gratefull.
thanks.

phil

omeone
05-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Philip, I can recommend the switch :)

You should register at the site in Kurv's links, I have a few days ago - nothing has shown up for Ireland yet, so maybe others have registered for Ireland too.

where abouts in Dublin are you? I work in dublin, so if you want a demo, you could call in (though I dont have a lot I can show officially)

riki
05-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Hey cool, there's even one in sydney.

philip kelly
05-27-2004, 01:57 AM
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I would be interested in joining.
How do I go about doing that, can you give a link.
thanks

I see you worked on the luas, is there a website to see the work.

phil

omeone
05-27-2004, 02:49 AM
hi philip, yeah - I actualy work for the LUAS (for the next month anyway), but most of stuff would not be for the public domain, the website www.luas.ie has exceptionaly bad maintainance, and since we have decided to sell it to the operator (Connex) it has been completely ignored for the last six months, great for a company in the public service huh? I believe we have a new website coming online soon with the domain www.rpa.ie, but I expect tht will be just as ****e ;) If you dig really deep, you'll see some of my 3D in there. Actually I have an old project that was abandoned of a traffic layout simulation at Abbey St. / Beresford place - I might be allowed to post that....

in the meantime, heres a charachter I might use for public consumption - Vinny the Vandal, and yeah he doesn't look like a typical vandal, he's not supposed to.

The link for signing up is here:
http://www.friendsofnewtek.com/ we'll see if Kurv can put the stuff together for us.

philip kelly
05-27-2004, 03:27 AM
Thanks
I regestered.
I will wait and see what happens.
I tried your websites luas etc could not get any of them.
I will try again later.
I work in the architectural field so the work I will be doing will be in that field, I would love branch out to something else.
I attach an image of the type of work i do, usually under a very tight time scale, this was renderd at 2am in the office for a next day competition entry, for certain area in dublin, which did not win but the images were nice.

Everyday all day, this is what i do , I like it but want to add more tools to me armour.
Talk to you soon.

phil

omeone
05-27-2004, 03:37 AM
Yeah, I do 80-90% arch vis aswell, but it gets sooooo repetitious sometimes and there is rarely any creative leeway, I just have to mess around with some crazy creations any chance I get.

deadlines are the killer alright, in Lw especially, there is always so much more available to you to really get that perfect render, but usually you have to move onto the next job before you can really make it beautiful.

the thing about the Friends of Newtek groups is that, right now, it is simply a meeting place for users, it may become more and it has the potential and I hope it does, but for now it seems to be a meeting place, if someone wants a user-group, the rest is up to them.

philip kelly
05-27-2004, 06:47 AM
Can I ask are you on 7.5 or 8.
Is there much of a difference, apparently the rendring has not moved on at all.
I would love to see Fprime bundeled with the basic package.
it looks great I wish all software had an add on like it.

phil

omeone
05-27-2004, 07:18 AM
still waiting for 8, but to be honest I wont really use much of its new features, In fact I'll probably wait for until 8.0b or wahtever is released for stability sake. As for FPrime, you have to factor it into budget I think, more than just a great renderer - it's an amazing learning tool for lighting and surfacing.... and of course getting better all the time.

If you do decide to buy LW, consider buying second hand, there are very often people advertising here and on other forums quite cheap, even selling LW8, some with DFX etc. just be sure to have it confirmed by Newtek that their slae and license is legit.

philip kelly
05-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Well if you see a version 7.5 or v8 of lightwave for sale cheap enough let me know I would interested.
I still don't think the office here have decided that they only want pretty pictures at the end of the day they also want working models.
So to get them to decide on something like lightwave is always a battle.
It's my preferred, but they think more practicly than that and coupled with that they have no idea what actually goes.

kurv
06-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks to Norman here... we have a completely automated and email safe site (robots can not get your email from our site and spam you).

If you are looking for a user group, we are adding people to existing and new groups daily!

Check out www.friendsofnewtek.com

If you run a LightWave user group, be sure to register your group, we can help you grow!!

Thanks!!

and please let us know how we can improve the site!!

philip kelly and omeone was your group approved..? If not please email me okay... [email protected] thanks!!

Wes -

kurv
06-18-2004, 01:44 PM
Also wanted to mention fro those of you who run user groups...

If you have new users in your area register, the site notifies you automatically and asks you if you would like to add that user to your user group.

:D

omeone
06-20-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by wordwarepub
philip kelly and omeone was your group approved..? If not please email me okay... [email protected] thanks!!

Wes

Phillip isnt actually using LW yet, I'm not speaking for him, but I think the idea was that if a User-group gets set-up. he'd like to come along and see LW in action. Hopefully, others (if their are any in our area) will be encouraged to see two people showing interest in a group though.

Miles
06-29-2004, 04:42 PM
... I'm not clear on why I registered as the first person in my area when 3 others have also registered in the last couple of months which are also looking for a User Group in our area, yet we're not put in touch with each other?

I understand that if we register an actual Group THEN we'd be sent an email when new people in the area are looking to join, BUT since it appears we haven't an official group yet wouldn't it be beneficial to put the early seekers in touch with each other so that we may consider forming a group with a collective effort. I personally haven't the time to take on starting up a group alone, but maybe as a collective it could be sorted out.

I'm assuming the others in my area are in the same boat, which is why we all have just listed ourselves as seeking a User Group rather than having already started one. At this rate I/we could just post a thread here in the forums and figure out how to reach each other without the FoNT setup/system.

I'm sorry if I'm just misunderstanding the idea of how the FoNT web site is suppose to help us connect with other LWrs in our area, but thus far it seems flawed in actually helping to establish enough connections in a location that apparently hasn't established a group yet.

I'll see if this post doesn't help and if not will just go ahead and skip FoNT and seek the others in the area through the forums.

Thanks for any insight... :confused:

philip kelly
06-30-2004, 02:47 AM
I underatnd and agree with your thoughts on this.
I am not a lightwave user and may get the finger out to ove to it soon.
I am having a house renovated and have not were to put a computer so all home work, or perosnal time is on hold so moving to lightwave is also on hold.

But say that, I would have no objection to getting started on a meeting or what ever.
I must go back and read the website that i regestered with and go through all the links on how to set up a group and what people generally discuss.

So all positive form my point of view.
I will read the webiste tonight, and be in toch.

I am sure there are a lot of lightwave uswers in ireland that just have not regesterd.

The mill use it as a background modeler, as do a lot of production companies.

so we will see what comes out of this post.

good to talk to you.
phil

omeone
06-30-2004, 02:50 AM
Dublin (and Ireland) needs a reseller, that'd be a perfect starting point... especially since its the 'IT capital of Europe'

G M D THREE
03-26-2007, 01:45 AM
New York LW user group:
http://nyclightwave.com/

Meeting on the March 27.

///

Speedmonk42
03-26-2007, 09:46 AM
These user groups need a beer sponsor.

Bog
03-26-2007, 09:48 AM
"LightWave London, in association with The Shakespear's Head, Holborn"

Twisted_Pixel
03-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks for waking this up.
Another Northern Ireland user exists :)
Though i'm off in Scotland currently for uni.

There are at least two others i've seen on here too.

A LWNI user group would be nice addition, if there isn't one already.

starbase1
04-03-2007, 03:38 PM
London Lightwave page now in place, and I fed the details in.

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/london-lightwave-user-group/index.html

Still a few minor tweaks to go in - if any other LW user groups would like to exchange links, let me know and I'll do the honours.

Cheers,
Nick

kopperdrake
04-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Kurv - getting no response from the Nottingham, UK user group contact...been a couple of weeks now.

Bog
04-03-2007, 06:46 PM
*settles his Battle Stylus across his knee*

Maybe we lost 'em, Kopperdrake. Has there been hostile activity in their area?

I volunteer for any recovery mission. We don't leave a usergroup behind.

*twitch*

bobakabob
04-03-2007, 07:04 PM
It would be cool to meet up with fellow Northerners... a beer in Londinium sounds like a good proposal too.

Titus
04-03-2007, 07:06 PM
More than two years since I applied for Mexico City, and still waitng :grumpy:

Bog
04-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Mail Kurtis again, Felipe. It's a busy life.

kopperdrake
04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
*settles his Battle Stylus across his knee*

Maybe we lost 'em, Kopperdrake. Has there been hostile activity in their area?

I volunteer for any recovery mission. We don't leave a usergroup behind.

*twitch*

You've obvioulsy never been to Nottingham - you have to be a nutter on Psilocybe to venture in there armed only with a Battle Stylus! Sorry dude - you're on yer own, Private Ryan can stay lost, I'm off to grab a posthumous beer for them :)

kopperdrake
04-05-2007, 01:19 PM
It would be cool to meet up with fellow Northerners... a beer in Londinium sounds like a good proposal too.

We're going to organise a Midlands meet soon Bob if you're interested? Last one was in Brum, but we talked about moving it around to help stave off possible accent infection.

bobakabob
04-06-2007, 04:54 AM
We're going to organise a Midlands meet soon Bob if you're interested? Last one was in Brum, but we talked about moving it around to help stave off possible accent infection.

Heh... according to research overseas visitors find the Brummie accent "lilting and melodious". Keep me posted... a meet would be "bostin" :D

kopperdrake
04-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Roight-auw arr kid :P

Danic101
04-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Its good to see some usergroups forming.

Bog
04-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Better to say: It's good to see some usergroups advertising.

G M D THREE
05-02-2007, 03:50 AM
New York LW user group:

Meeting on May 3rd 7:30 PM

See link above for location.

///

G M D THREE
06-07-2007, 01:07 PM
New York LW user group:

Meeting this evening, June 7.