PDA

View Full Version : rendering box

groovy
03-24-2003, 01:54 PM
Hay Lightwavers !!!

Im planing to buy my second computer, just for rendering. Im little low on budget, so Im gonna build it myself. Some stuff will be new, some second hand. Could any of you give me some general directions ?? I just bougt P 2.5 cpu. Is amount and type of ram (256,512 or 1giga ??) crucial for rendering times, or is cpu the horse power ?? How big and fast (7200-5400 rpm ??) should be HD (10 giga, just for wins and linux) ?? With last lightwave update.... what are the main advantages for network rendering under the Linux ??

Thanxs for all answers and sorry for my bad english.
:) :) :) :)

Lynx3d
03-24-2003, 04:33 PM
About the RAM, the size hasn't really an influence on rendering time...as long as the scene fits there!
If it doesn't rendering times just go to hell anyway and your HD get's a lot of work...so size depend on how complex your scenes are. I'd start with 1x512MB and see how far you get :D

The memory type (SDR, DDR or RDRAM) has a small influence, but rendering isn't extremely memory bandwifth dependant like many games etc. are...DDR266 or DDR333 should be fine
So it really depends mostly on the CPU.

HD size and speed...size depends on how much image data you render at once i'd say. Speed...unimportant i think.

Can't help you with Linux client...never tried it