PDA

View Full Version : polygon subdivision

neversummer
05-18-2004, 06:49 AM
I am in the middle of a tutorial for 3D Studio Max (doing it in Lightwave of course), and I'm noticing when polygon's are 'knifed' or are more than 4 sided, there is no problem subdividing them, (I think it's called meshsmooth in max). In Lightwave, everytime I 'knife' a polygon I have to make sure it becomes a 3 or 4 sided polygon in order to subdivide it. Attached is an image of one screen capture in max to show you what I'm talking about..... is there any plans to make lightwave similar in this aspect?

mkiii
05-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Course it can.

Use Metaform Plus (from the legacy plugins/modeler folder). LW has been able to do this since time began.

neversummer
05-18-2004, 11:09 AM
huh, I couldn't get the metaform plus tool to work... maybe I explained myself wrong: in this attatchment I knifed one polygon.... then usually I have to continue the knife (indicated in red) in order for all points to be attached and lined up with their polys... then when I subdivide the mesh, everything is smooth and attached.... are you saying the metaform plus tool elimates the need for the 'red line' part?

neversummer
05-18-2004, 11:42 AM
REQUEST: N-SIDED POLYGONS PLEASE

thekho
05-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Use Edge Tool

tudor
05-19-2004, 01:12 AM
Didn't newtek state earlier that they were working on n-gon support? I belive they did. Wait for a point release :)

GruvSyco
05-19-2004, 01:34 AM
I would think bandsaw, bandsaw pro, Ikeda Cut or FI Jigsaw would work better than Knife. I think the actual solution to your problem would be n-gons, which has been requested many many times. Until sub-patched n-gons are supported, there are suggestions in this thread for how to work around it.

mkiii
05-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by neversummer
huh, I couldn't get the metaform plus tool to work... maybe I explained myself wrong: in this attatchment I knifed one polygon.... then usually I have to continue the knife (indicated in red) in order for all points to be attached and lined up with their polys... then when I subdivide the mesh, everything is smooth and attached.... are you saying the metaform plus tool elimates the need for the 'red line' part?

Yes. Metaform Plus works fine with 3,4,5, or whatever number of sides you want to work with.

For example, it will subdivide the ends of a default cylinder where all the other subdivision tools will not, although some care is needed.

It's not perfect bacause you can't toggle it on & off, but it does result in a shape of 3 & 4 point polys that can be metanurbed.