PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 is great!.....on mac.

Ade
05-18-2004, 03:00 AM
Everything feels more smoother, less errors when doing huge booleans, less crashes with Fprime, it just feels more complete and more usable.
id actually say lw8 on mac is more stable than the works win 2000 xeon DP 2.2.

Im glad the wait was worth it.

The little things like drag and drop are signs of real care taken.

I ask newtek though, a splash screen would be a proud banner to have loaded before modeler appears..

Well back to lw8....

riki
05-18-2004, 03:45 AM
Hey Ade, glad to hear it's going well. It's been rock solid so far on my Mac, fingers crossed.

Karmacop
05-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Good to see you finally got it Ade ;)

I see a splash screen as useless. I don't care who made the program, I don't care what cool graphic they make pop up, i want to get to work. The only reason other programs have it is because they're loading.

Lewis
05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Heheh I agree with Karmcop and one more note is that Lw is too damn fast with starting/booting (about 2 seconds on my Machine - 7.5c) so i doubt anynone would see much on splash screen :). That's not like on MAX or other programs wich boots a resonable amount of time (whole EXE file is much bigger so that's understandable).

Lw doesn't need splash screen IMHO :).

wapangy
05-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Yeah, splashscreens were invented so people knew the program was actually doing something, we don't need that.

blabberlicious
05-19-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Ade
Everything feels more smoother....

ADE: Sorry to rain on your parade, but my experience is wholly different.
I take it you have a G5, because it if you had Dual 1.4 G4 (like we do) I think you'd be less than impressed with the open GL - which makes nurbed modelling painfully sluggish for all but the smallest objects. Worse even than 7.5.

So, now I'm am in familiar 'being patient mac users' mode - as they are apparently working on improvements. I mention this not to restart a thread that was put out of it misery by Chuck, but to warn G4 users that they are in for a chopp(ier) ride with LW8 on their machines.

Glad you are enjoying it, though. Let us know how you find it after a good test run :-)

BTW, when you say drag and drop taken care of are you being serious? Because LW gives up opening Scene and Objects from the finder after the first file is opened and Hub starts up.
While the HUB is running, you have to open all files through the either App. If you 'drag and drop' once LW is running, or try to open files in the finder, all that happens is the HUB gets thrown to the front and no files open.

Same for you?

Cheers.

dmg3d
05-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by blabberlicious
if you had Dual 1.4 G4 (like we do) I think you'd be less than impressed with the open GL - which makes nurbed modelling painfully sluggish for all but the smallest objects. Worse even than 7.5.

I have a dual 1.4 G4 and don't feel it's "painfully sluggish" in modeller. My criticism would be mainly in Layout while using fPrime... constantly crashing while using the surface editor.

Yes, there's still some weird quirks in both modeller and layout, but overall it seems LW is running smoother.

-Dave

Jean-Paul Lar.
05-24-2004, 07:20 PM
I got LW8 last Friday and have been playing with it straight and I got to say Im really enjoying the new tools. The dope track is awsome saves so much time and the new expressions editor is sweet just a little bug with nameing the object to long not letting you link nodes but just shorten the name and everything is fine. And the new bone tools are great, wish you could undo but I adjusted to it quickly. The soft and cloth dynamics rule. so much easier and less confusing then motion desighner and allot faster when it comes to calculation. Im having allot of fun with Fx hard link and Joint morph plus is really cool. The hard body dynamics take a bit but once you get the hang of it its awsome setting it up is easy but going deeper takes a bit longer.. Anyway thanks again NewTek im very impressed.:D And I have not had any crashes as of yet and thats 3 and a half days of straight workin with it. :)

Psyhke
05-24-2004, 07:49 PM
Glad to hear you were not let down after waiting...:D

I'm diggin the dynamic, as well.