PDA

View Full Version : Two IKBooster Test Anims

SplineGod
05-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Heres a couple of very quick IKBooster tests I just did
on a quadruped. Each quickie anim took about 10 minutes each to do. :)

TEST1 (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/quadruped_ikb_test.avi)
and
Test2 (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/quadruped_ikb_test2.avi)

Librarian
05-17-2004, 12:31 AM
Hi Larry. Really cool ones :)
Is it all IK Boost or did you mix old IK with it?

SplineGod
05-17-2004, 12:53 AM
Both. The name says it all, IKBooster. :) In my opinion it was never meant to replace LWs IK but BOOST it. :)
I get very stable rigs with the best of both. The IKB stuff recognizes the native LW IK and Match Goal. The IKB adds a lot more control then with just native LW IK. :)

cresshead
05-17-2004, 01:03 AM
hi
do you have any plans for new training cdroms that will show ik booster and native ik in lightwave 8.0?

looks pretty good BTW.

steve g

SplineGod
05-17-2004, 01:12 AM
Definately. I will have a least one of several CDs out next week that will cover IKBooster and Ortho among other things :)

cresshead
05-17-2004, 01:30 AM
that sounds just the ticket for me!

is this a new courseware or additional to existing training courses so taking in lw8's capabilities?

is this available to order now?
if so where [which website..as you seem to be everywhere nowdays...your own sites and stuff for kurve studios too]

......and how much!

cheers

steve g

SplineGod
05-17-2004, 01:54 AM
Both actually. I will have a first CD that will be an introduction to IKB and the other tools. The part for the courseware will be in much greater depth. Anyone who signs up for the course now will automatically get thos LW8 updates. :)

cresshead
05-17-2004, 02:22 AM
so it's the "lightwave rigging series" that we can't click on just yet...
is that right?

just in case it's not the above...which cdrom has this content?

cheers...

SplineGod
05-17-2004, 02:44 AM
That would be the one. I held off on a few of those CDs since it just made more sense to wait until LW8 was out.
Those CDs will have lots of useful info but nowhere near the depth the courses go into. They will definately get you going though. :)

cresshead
05-17-2004, 03:48 AM
cool!

i look forward to them becoming "live" and i'll also get your "intro" to lightwave to help me deliver my lightwave intro courses better as i bet i could gain from this intro course as well as my students;)

cheers

SplineGod
05-17-2004, 03:49 AM
Yes me too! Thanks Steve :)

pooby
05-17-2004, 06:11 AM
Splinegod.. could you please explain how IK booster is useful? I can't use it at all.

SplineGod
05-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Pooby,
That could take awhile to answer properly. :)
Theres a lot if adds that you cant do with LWs native IK very easily. Every joint is an IK Goal and you can mix IK and FK.
You also have bone dynamics as well. Long bone chains work great with IKB and are a real pain to do with the native IK.... :)

pooby
05-18-2004, 02:14 AM
Ok, but don't you find that things slip and slide the whole time?
and it's hard to readjust anything as the IK isn't 'live' it's baked onto the bones. I'm not talking about doing tails, I'm sure it's ok at that..
I guess It depends what you want to do. I'm talking about making a complex rig with muscles and hand-locking etc not a simple pull about rag-doll rig and I can't get any good results whatsoever..

SplineGod
05-18-2004, 02:19 AM
Its not slipping or sliding for me. If you look at the tests esp on the 2nd one the feet are staying locked and I didnt have to do any funky baking to do it. It took me some experimenting to figure it out but now that I have I like it. :)

pooby
05-18-2004, 04:44 AM
I assumed that part was using the Traditional Ik.. is it not?

JohnD
05-18-2004, 08:05 AM
Hey Larry,
The links don't seem to be working...or maybe it's just me. Would really like to see these.

lede
05-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Nice demo Larry! For some reason it reminds me of an ant eater :D.

-Lee

Psyhke
05-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Question for ya'll: what was the deal on 'fixing' joints-- can they or can they not be keyframed? It doesn't appear to be possible for me, though without the manual I'm not really sure if I'm missing anything.

cresshead
05-18-2004, 11:48 AM
well i'm tired of messing around in the dark with ik booster so as soon as your tutorials on it are up i'll buy flexing my cedit card in your general direction!....i so much want ik booster to work for me giving me fk/ik per keyframe on bipeds and quadroped walks..i have some definate uses lined up ready to put into production...

cheers

steve g

jr_sunshine
05-18-2004, 12:08 PM
I'd just like to vent on this one a little: If it's gonna take a figgen Larry Shultz $300 course to learn IKBooster then I'm just gonna buy Messiah and say the heck with native LW animation. I have been trying the Messiah:Animate demo and I'm thinking it's the way to go now. This is one of those frustrating things about LW as a whole. I have no problem with new features being implemented as plug-ins or add-ons, but NewTek absolutely has to give us a clue on how to use this stuff. If the foot sliding was easily solved using and character animation was easier with IKBooster we would not have long threads on the issue. When they demoed IKB I thought for sure our problems were solved. But once again a tool is handicapped by a legacy of code. So... please someone at NewTek produce something in the form of a rig or video tutorial which shows the use of IKBooster (and whatever combo of Native IK) necessary to have a usable rig. The one-click IK is neat but what can I do with it after that. Help Please Help.

Larry... maybe you could offer an olive branch and explain how you did it or at the very least provide the rig so we can see how you did it.

Frustr[8]ted still even though I have [8] in hand.

Roy

cresshead
05-18-2004, 04:58 PM
i hear what your saying!...messiah looks to be a no brainer in operation which is what i expected of ikbooster in lightwave 8...
maybe it will make more sense when the tutorial book/help files are released for lightwave 8.0 on it's official launch day.

all that i have gathered so far is that if you tie it down with normal ik on the feet then it's stable but apparently any motions created with ik booster & normal ik together will be corrupt if used in motion mixer..so motion mixer is out for a stable ik booster rig..unless someone tells us different!

as larry said..it took him [a technical director from numerous tv shows] quite a while to "get" what ik booster was all about..his initial opinion was it was a gimmick and he stuck with normal ik...it has taken some experimentation and time to really understand what/how to use ik booster.

as people have said..would be nice for newtek to let us in on the power/secret of ik booster in real production workflow as we've paid for it...we'd like to understand how to use these new tools that newtek made for us!!!!!

....:rolleyes:

SplineGod
05-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by jr_sunshine

Larry... maybe you could offer an olive branch and explain how you did it or at the very least provide the rig so we can see how you did it.

Frustr[8]ted still even though I have [8] in hand.

Roy

LOL! I feel your pain. :)
Ill have a $25.00 CD done this week with a couple of hours of IKBooster basics - enough to get it you going.
I dont mind sharing information. Ive done it long before my courses and such and will continue doing it.
If I seem hesitant about sharing certain types of information I do so only because others have paid for the information and I dont feel right doing that to them. :)

Thanks Steve,
I agree that better documentation is needed for stuff like this.
I dont think anyone likes software to make them feel dumb. I really hate not knowing how to do something so I simply beat my head on it until I figure it out. IKB is very alien to the usual way of doing things but now that I understand it better its very cool. :)

jr_sunshine
05-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
LOL! I feel your pain. :)
Ill have a $25.00 CD done this week with a couple of hours of IKBooster basics - enough to get it you going.
I dont mind sharing information. Ive done it long before my courses and such and will continue doing it.
If I seem hesitant about sharing certain types of information I do so only because others have paid for the information and I dont feel right doing that to them. :)

I totally understand about sharing info. I'm sure your customers appreciate that kind of integrity. Good to hear there will be something to help people in the IK Booster area. It is encouraging to hear you saying good things about IKB.

Thanks Larry.

Roy

SplineGod
05-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks jr,
Im definately happier with IKB lately. Its getting more and more fun to use :)

cresshead
05-19-2004, 01:47 AM
cool, if posible can you drop me an email when it's avialable
for purchase and i'll get that and the intro course together in one payment.

and cheers for taking the time to understand just what ik booster is and how to use it...we need people to get the most out of lightwave itself rather than always jump ship to motion builder or messiah...i really would hate to have to use 2 apps for 3d character animation..the workflow and learning another app would be time consuming though if i did get something in addition it would be messiah rather than motion builder as my time in motion builder has been irritating with fbx files.

thanks

steve g

SplineGod
05-19-2004, 01:51 AM
I agree. Myself, Id rather figure out things in my main app. It is a pain having to jump between apps and learn an alien workflow.
Ill keep you posted. :)