PDA

View Full Version : Which NLE to use

Nakaleen
05-16-2004, 08:05 PM
I can finally afford a NLE for my home system (So I can do my own videos instead of relying on work's system all the time)

My work used Avid Media Composer / Xpress DV and Lightwave works well with it (when I export a Quicktime mov with the avid codec)

I can afford the Avid Xpress DV, but just read up on the Adobe Premiere Pro.

I am wondering how well Lightwave intergrates into the new Premiere Pro? Avi? QT Mov? Alpha's? playback in realtime?

DaveW
05-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Take a look at Sony Vegas, it's a very nice app. I always render to image sequence, but it will import avi, mov, mpg, wmv, works with alphas and it's realtime as long as you've got a decent computer.

hunter
05-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Depending on cash I would give Matrox a look. I just built a system for the office with: http://www.matrox.com/video/products/rtx100xtremepro/home.cfm

Works great and comes with premiere pro but the coolest is realtime export for dvd files in dvdit. The thing flys.

Aegis
05-16-2004, 11:50 PM
Get a VT[3]! They rock!

Mylenium
05-17-2004, 02:17 AM
If you already are used to Avid products, I wouldn't switch to another app - you will hate them all. The workflow is dramatically different and Premiere for instance will give you the creeps with its limitations and workarounds.

Mylenium

sfriedberg
05-17-2004, 10:59 AM
I used Premiere through 6.5, then switched to Vegas and haven't looked back since. Can't say how either compares to Avid, since I have no experience with it, but -- in my opinion -- Vegas is faster, more intuitive, equally capable in video, superior in audio, and cheaper when compared with Premiere.

pdrake
05-17-2004, 12:10 PM
final cut pro. pure wonder to use.