PDA

View Full Version : How come no LW Discovery Edition/Demo?

Signal to Noise
05-15-2004, 03:01 PM
This question isn't for me since I am already a commercial LW owner. However, I know people both on-line and off-line (like as in 'real-life';) ) that often ask "Say, where can I get a copy of the LightWave demo? I have demos of other CG apps but LW looks cool, seems affordable, and I'd like to try it out before I decide who gets my money."

Usually my response is that they can't readily get a demo from NewTek unless they try to perhaps email them with a request for one to download or be sent to them. NewTek use to have 7 for download but have since taken it off line for unknown reasons. Or keep checking 3D magazines such as 3D World or Digit. Or buy Dan Ablan's Inside [7] book which for sure has LWDE 7 on the CD. Good for Dan but not good for someone who doesn't want to spend $50/60 on a book just for the demo. Wouldn't NewTek be better off from a future sales standpoint in having either the older 7/7.5 demo or, even better, version [8] available on-line for download?

What gives?:confused:

Designer
05-16-2004, 11:20 PM
I agree...I'd like to hear an explanation as to why no demo download on their site...what kind of marketing strategy is that??

cagey5
05-17-2004, 12:22 AM
As far as I'm aware any version you download will run in demo mode if you don't own a dongle. If so try here

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/index.html

and see what happens