PDA

View Full Version : new dual 1.42 and older lightwave

jrd
03-24-2003, 07:31 AM
this may be a simple question, but it has me a little worried. i have a new dual 1.42 here at work, but have realized that my last full version of lightwave is 5.6. i've been updating since then. i plan on copying my drives over to the new one for now, BUT if i ever have issues and need to reinstall, how do i do this. with the last full version being OS9 only and the new machine not being bootable to it..... what do i do then. i'm hoping there is an easy answer to this that i am missing. thanks in advance for your help.

jrd

mlinde
03-24-2003, 01:56 PM
If you are running the 6.5 OS X version that was a "pre-release" you can just install it in OS X. However, a large number of features were not released with 6.5 for OS X (including many image saver formats) so you will be more limited than in OS 9.

If you have purchased an upgrade for LW 7-7.5 and you have a CD-ROM, you are able to install a full version of LW on the machine. You will need to have any hardware keys (dongle licenses) to re-input if you do this, for the license.key file and any Worley plugs (and others that use similar setups). If you have the USB dongle and are running 7.x on 9.x, you can actually run the software in OS X, but the preferences are not in the right place (in the System Folder:Preferences: for OS 9, in User:~you:Library:Preferences: in OS X)

Darth Mole
03-25-2003, 01:05 AM
Hey, jrd - post some benchmarks from your new dual 1.42! Just how fast IS that machine...?

cavalos
03-25-2003, 01:04 PM
I donīt know why you guys insist in use a Mac for your work with Lightwave, I mean, I have one with single G4 processor but even my cheaper AMD Duron render images faster!
Is good to have a Mac when you need to work with something like Final Cut Pro or when is good to have some compatibility with design studios but thereīs no comparision in features, power, plugins etc.

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/cgi-bin/getframeletter.cgi?/2002/11_nov/reviews/cw_macvspciii.htm

Darth Mole
03-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Because I want to.

I only need one computer, and I've chosen a Mac. You can keep you faster (though utterly soulless) PC; I'll stick with my slow old Mac thank you very much, and its gorgeous operating system. Not to mention the thousands of dollars' worth of software on the HD.

Don't worry about us, PC boy. Move along, nothing to see here...

cremegg
03-25-2003, 04:18 PM
LMFAO!

The article you kindly linked to was Intels P4 vs G4 good material to push your case that a Duron is faster than a G4 ;).

I would point out that from a LightWave point of view the PPC performs equal to a Pentium 4 with equal speed rating. And thnx to Apples Dual G4 systems we keep up with the Pentium 4.

According to Chris's LightWave Benchmark page I definately wouldn't pick any AMD CPU for LightWave ;). You can keep yer Durons and We'll keep all our damn fine PPCs.

Notice also how they haven't updated that review to use the Dual 1.42Ghz systems. I'm not saying that it'd win or be a humilating victory but the speed ratings would be far more equal and I'm sure the G4 would close if not eliminate the gap altogether.