PDA

View Full Version : Can I connect the LW dongle on a hub ?

renatolazzaroni
03-24-2003, 07:29 AM
Hi,
Is any of you using LW with the dongle connected to a powered hub instead of a direct connection ?
I use a Mac G4 on OS 10.2 and I would like to free a usb port on the Mac to connect a intuos 2 A5 tablet.
The tablet does not wake from sleep if it is connected through a hub.
In this case the monitor (Lacie electron Blue 22) is the hub.
So I would connect the hub and the tablet on the Mac, and the dongle and the keyboard on the hub.
Are there any risks for the dongle, when the screen is turned on/off, or put to sleep ?
I am sure that it is better to connect the dongle directly, but if it
works on the hub, the better.
I have posted the question on other forums as well and I have received mostly positive answers, with a couple of scary mentions to a fried dongle.
Also, I don't know if Newtek advises a direct connection or not.

Advice anyone ?

Thanks for the feedback,

Renato

skippy
03-24-2003, 11:12 AM
I am, and it works just fine.
Mine is a 4-port USB hub.

S

renatolazzaroni
03-25-2003, 06:35 AM
Ok, thanks for the goods news.
I will try it then.

Renato

cvliv
03-25-2003, 11:46 AM
i plugged my dongle into my hub with the worst possible result. twice. at first i just hought it had gone bad on its own. the second time i knew the problem. you wont know if it will work for you till you plug it in. then it could be too late. fyi i have a Newpoint 4 port hub. works fine for everything else. good luck!

cort

renatolazzaroni
03-26-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by cvliv
i fried my dongle twice!...

Ouch, that's the kind of thing I didn't want to read.
As you say, I will know if it is safe only when I try.
I will probably try it and post the result here, just for information.

BTW, This has got nothing to do with frying a dongle, but I read on another forum an advice on how to protect it better from physical damage: connect it (to the hub or the PC) via a short usb extension cable. In case you bump something into it, the plug itself won't snap.
I think this is a stroke of genius, so I just thought i'd mention it here.

Renato

serpicolugnut
03-26-2003, 12:27 PM
Depends on the hub. I have no problems using mine on a Belkin 4 port powered hub, and a cheap, noname, 4 port unpowered hub.

Usually, I keep my dongle plugged in to my Mac keyboard on the left hand usb port... That way it's easily accessible to move to my Powerbook when needed....

renatolazzaroni
03-27-2003, 07:08 AM
I have connected the dongle to the hub (Lacie electron Blue 22), and the tablet to the Mac. LW is apparently ok with it, and the tablet wakes up fine from mac sleep.
Let's hope this lasts.

Renato