PDA

View Full Version : LW GLow trouble concerning most versions.

Intuition
05-14-2004, 06:09 PM
LW Glow trouble.
Just thought I chime up and see if anyone else felt this way.

When I do glows in a scene I often feel I have to do multiple passes with aplha keys and then apply glows in After effects or just even composite in after effects.

The problem I often run into involves space scenes.

I usually like to see massive Halo glows around planet Atmosphere.

Well so I set a fresnel or incidience angle transparency sphere around a globe mesh and have it glow the edge real nice.

Problem is that when I get a glow set up at a certain level and pixel size, say 30-50 pixels for a large glow (mind you I am doing 1920x1080 Highdef) when the glow is applied it also applies to the stars in the same amount even though the stars are often 1-3 pixels in size.

I would like to be able to set glow ranges per surface.

Is there a method maybe I am unaware of used by many here or maybe a plug in.

Also I would like to be able to set a glow color that is not based on the surface color sometimes. Perhasp even seta glow texture that animates making the glow change color over the surface.

Any thoughts comments and Ideas are appreciated.

I can solve these problems but I would like not to have to do multiple passes to do so.

Thanks in Advance.

SplineGod
05-14-2004, 09:39 PM
The Corona plugin can apply glows based on all kinds of criteria. I would do some reading up on it Doing glow colors that are different then the surface color is one of the things it will do.
Flay.com also has a free plugin that can do it as well.

theo
05-15-2004, 06:10 AM
Man- glows are in a bit of a strange class. You have several options for glowing within LW (and most other apps) but the weird thing it just does not come close to what you can achieve in post-production.

Larry's advice about bloom is good but there again if you can do this in post you will have much more control over the result and it will render faster. Sooo... In my experience with glows I've pretty much decided to not knock my brains out using LW for specialized glows (not volumetric-based). Render out a 3D image sandwich and put it together in DFX+ or whatever.

In other words just do a render pass of the objects you need a glow effect on in the scene and composite that over the rendered background scene or whatever else you decided to render separately. Once you get this glow layer into the composite you have a world of effects and animation you can apply to that specific layer. Including the option of having that special layer read your future, deposit vast sums of money into your bank account and save the world. :D