View Full Version : create a book in Lightwave

adrian21811963
05-14-2004, 03:24 PM
i need to create a book for a project

Can somebody help me?

Thank

Silkrooster
05-14-2004, 08:49 PM
What are you looking to do as far as creating a book? Lightwave was not really designed for making books. It is usually easier to create your models/scenes in LW then render an image to either, PSD, JPG, BMP or TGA formats. These images then can be added to a word processor like Microsft Word or Corel Wordperfect. The images could also be added to Illustration software like Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw or Macromedia Freehand. Finally the images could be added to a page layout program that is meant for making books like Adobe PageMaker, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Framemaker, Corel Ventura, or Microsoft Publisher. It all boils down to how much your willing to spend to get the correct software, how you plan on printing the book, how your going to bind the book and how many copies of the book you want published. A single book may be printed with ink jet if there are not too many pages, 1 book to 1000 books depending on page count may be printed with laser printer. Over 1000 books should be printed through a printing service.

js33
05-14-2004, 09:05 PM
I think he wanted to know how to make a book model?

Cheers,
JS

Silkrooster
05-14-2004, 10:11 PM
You know that didn't even occur to me. I guess that is what assumming does.
I guess one way would to be make a flat box with a high enough poly count and even triple it to make one page, so that the page is smooth when it bends. Turn on double sided, and use bones to animate. Use the lathe tool to create a spiral spine.
For the texure you could use an UV texture to place each side of the page or instead of turning on double sided polys, leave the polys single sided and make a copy of the page and flip the face. Then you could have seperate images for each page rather than one image for two pages.
If you want to have a little substance to the pages, for example the front and back cover, change the thickness of the page accordingly using the numeric pad. Just remember if you create a copy of the back side of the page, you would deside on a thickness then divide that by two and enter that value into both sides.

Hiraghm
05-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Like This?
http://www.xtimports.com/animation/gallery/ETBookAnim_TN.gif (http://www.xtimports.com/animation/gallery/ETBooksmall.wmv)

Beamtracer
05-15-2004, 07:06 PM
That's a fantastic book, Hiraghm. You should make a tute about how to do this!

wacom
05-16-2004, 07:27 AM
I've made several books in LW and in the old days 3DS! The real question is this: does it have to animate being opened?

If not I suggest you just loft/extrude the shape from the top down. One shape for the spine and cover, and another for the "pages". It works very well and is fast.

The other way is to make a box, and using the knife tool, make cuts in the right places to get the spine curve, the seams of the spine, and the inside shape of the book. The advantage to this is that you can easily get a subpatched book out of it.

What is the book going to be bound in? Cloth, paper, leather?