PDA

View Full Version : SubPatch model tips / advice? EXTENDER TOOL

pawn707
03-24-2003, 02:32 AM
I've been using Dan Ablan's book, Inside Lightwave, to try to "detail-out" a head model. However, I'm not copying his method EXACTLY as I've got my own design to follow--just using his guide for overall technique.

Something I'm running into a lot is when using the Extender tool to expand geometry I end up with non-three or four sided poly's--so when I hit Tab they end up all screwy.

Anytips on how to:
1) Patch up those types of poly's to properly work with the rest of the geometry?

or 2) how about a general set of tips when setting out the start a complext organic model? I noticed that the Ablan method is very meticulous in selecting the points to Extend, etc.

Any help at all would be great...I'm trying to avoid the "Box" or "Ball" technique of head modeling as I find it restrictive and full of problems.

THANKS

Rory_L
03-24-2003, 03:49 AM
Instead of starting with a box or ball, why not start with a head shape? :) If you use splines quickly to rough out the basic form you`ll be well into the model before you know it; and you`ll have the polys flowing in nice edge loops too!

All the best,

R

hrgiger
03-24-2003, 07:08 AM
Pawn707,

If you're using extender, and you're ending up with anything other then 4 sided polygons, then you're not doing it right. You should be selecting your points in order and you should be ending up with a backside polygon that you're supposed to delete before you subpatch the model. You can manually make 3 or 4 sided polys by selecting the points (either 3 or 4 points and then hitting p for polygon). You do this when you're filling holes in your model.
I use the detail method out for modeling as I don't like box modeling either.

Skonk
03-24-2003, 08:42 AM
i also recommend getting FI's OEXtender (www.flay.com), it works like extender but doesn't produce the unwanted poly at the back and u can do lasso selections regardless of point order and it still extends properly, oh and if u extend in subd mode, the extended polygons will be subd too.

James..

hrgiger
03-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Cool. I'll have to get that. I probably use extender more then any other tool in modeler. That is annoying have to select everything in order, especially when you have a shape that has 15,25, or 20 or more points.

pawn707
03-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Thanks very much everyone. That's been my only setback using Lightwave (I've done simple models in Softimage--organic and non-organic) ...getting used to the SubPatch system and it's nuances,etc.

I think it would have been helpful for someone (Newtek??) to write a chapter or PDF packet or something on ways to fix things up (although there is a pretty good Tutorial in the Modeling section called "Various Modelling Tips")

Skonk
03-25-2003, 08:31 AM
With FI's extender if u select points 1 by 1 it uses that as the point order just incase it does get it wrong when lasso selecting them (tho i dont think its ever got it wrong for me :))

Really helped me on that head model i did (posted in the wip section a few days back)

James..