PDA

View Full Version : Bone Dynamics

stardial
05-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Hello all,
Has anyone been able to use the Bone Dynamics feature? I followed the video clip's instruction, but do not see bone dynamics listed in the popup panel. And doing a keyword search in the html Help guide yields nothing. Is this a feature that never made it into the final cut?

Thanks,

Sean Hannon

zecryan
05-13-2004, 08:03 PM
DO you mean Hard or soft body dynamics becuase I have no idea what you mean by bone dynamics. or maybe you mean IK booster. please direct me to the video because i looked at them on the newtek website and did not see anything about bone dynamics.

Dodgy
05-14-2004, 03:23 AM
Looks like you missed the 'Bone dynamics' toggle in the IKB menu in the lower right corner.

You need to
Click modify>Tools>IK booster tool.

Right click on your object and click 'Apply IKBooster'

Right click on the little circle at the joints of your object (LMB to select another bone) which brings up the menu and go to dynamics edit, which allows you to visually edit the settings.

LMB on the IKB menu in the bottom right corner of the layout window, select the bone dynamics toggle.

Hit Modify>Tools>IKB calculate to see the bone wobbling around.

phil lawson
05-14-2004, 03:37 AM
The way I got it to work was basically :-

Add Boned Object
Turn on IK Boost.
Enable Bone Dynamics
Set Gravity to 0 in IK Boost options.
Add a box to the scene to test.
Animate box going through object.
Set the box or what ever object to be a collison object.
Press either calculate in the dynamics box or press the IKB Calculate button.
Tweek scene as needed :)

stardial
05-14-2004, 06:29 AM
Thanks all, I appreciate the help on this. I was initially stymied because I was exploring features by going from one video clip to the next, and the one on Bone dynamics doesn't reference the use of IKBooster.

Which leads me to a second broader question. I've been working with Lightwave for many years. And it still strikes me that every time new features are introduced, there is inadequate documentation for how it all hangs together and in what order to apply things. The videos are EXTREMELY welcome, but tantalizingly short of the mark, and the online manual describes details with a presumption that you already know what they are talking about. I suppose Ablan and others will have tutorial tomes out soon, but in the meantime, I am loading up Newtek-supplied scenes to take apart and ferret out the routine a la Sherlock Holmes. More often than not, the scenes remain unhelpful in describing what's going on under the hood and how it was assembled. Do any of you have a better more thorough approach to self-teaching the new features.

Thanks,
Sean