PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone do a dvd fromstandalone rec. back into a authoring program

videoconcepts
05-13-2004, 06:53 PM
i thought i heard of someone taking a dvd made from a standalone recorder(realtime dvd record) and then use it in a authoring program to make new menues and chapters. saving the time converting.
Does that make sence? or is the converstion with avi rapper in a dvd authoring program faster?

thanks randyc

videoconcepts
05-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Any one? iv seen someware someone doing this. i thought it would be faster than software rendering.
are there faster programes out there?
im trying DvD architect 2 .

meshmaster
05-17-2004, 01:46 PM
or do you mean something else... I use tmpg dvd author... it's a shareware program that is really easy to use if you need to make a dvd out of a lot of mpg files... be careful on frame rate though, because if you get too much info/second it'll cause problems... and dvd won't read in some older dvd players... should read on playstation 2 ok though.

videoconcepts
05-17-2004, 05:07 PM
this is what i do and need.
when im done in the toaster edit. ill dump a wedding to a master tape and a realtime dvd recorder. doing this i cant do menues and backgrounds ,buttons. i was woundering if its faster to do it the way i am and then pull the dvd info back into a authoring program to add nice menues and such or is it faster to pull in a toaster rapped avi into a authering program and have that render it into a mpeg2 dvd format. does that make sence.?

winged-cat
05-20-2004, 10:54 AM
from my limited experience it will be much slower. Also, if you already have a digital master - recording it to a dvd, then ripping it out - then converting so your edit/author program can use it - will probably loose a genereation or two due to re-compression. From what I've found so far while recorded video DVDs are technically mpeg, you cannot pull that mepg directly from the disc without re-converting it again.

I was looking into the standalone dvd-recorders to move several vhs tapes to DVD without needing to get a capturecard. Wanted to save my old college video work in a better format. What I found in my testing (compter is a P4- 2.53) recording a 1 min test segment:

1. set top - record to DVD - realtime (setup plus 1 min)
2. rip DVD-r to computer for use (5 to 10 min)?? (i think - it was a while ago)
3. tMPG to convert .vob's to mpeg for editing package (20+ min)

Granted I've been trying to do this all with shareware/freeware. There may be some commercial packages that speed up this whole process, but until I'm sure how I plan to approach this, I'm not ready to drop the extra money into it. Right now with an over 20:1 time loss ratio I think I'll be putting it on the back burner for a while.

I also have not started uning any Authoring package. If any of those will load the ripped .vob's from step 2, then it may become a much easier project.

If you find a better solution, please let me know.

videoconcepts
05-20-2004, 07:11 PM
thanks.
I make my master dv tape the same time i dump to DVD and vhs. i guess i was hoping to take the vobs back in to a programe for some new menues.
theres got to be a good programer out there that can do this. i can grab the vobs and put them on the Hard drive and play them in a dvd program.
el cruddo.....................
randyc