PDA

View Full Version : Virus

TRCC
05-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Im under the impression that you cannot have an anti virus program on you VT computer because it runs too much in the background. My only question is how am i to get updates, register and such if I have a "virgin" computer. Im not about to run my computer on the net with no protection.

If any help we are using a dual 3.06 xeon w/2 gig of ram. Is there enough to run somekind of antivirus?

Blaine Holm
05-13-2004, 05:28 PM
you can install Norton Anit-virus. Just disconnect from the net and turn off 'auto protect'

TRCC
05-13-2004, 05:29 PM
is it not reccomended to have anti virus, we run a live application does it really effect the program?

Blaine Holm
05-13-2004, 06:09 PM
anti-virus likes to check on things. Better to disable the auto-protect even if doing live events.

kleima
05-13-2004, 09:33 PM
I leave Norton running most of the time. I never have seen that it makes any difference whether auto protect is enabled or disabled.
Maybe my machine is just fast enough that it doesn't make a difference.

TRCC
05-14-2004, 10:21 AM
We are running the "flagship" thats why I thought it wouldnt matter, but earlier we had some problems with our system and the supplier claimed it was from anti-virus. It really turned out to be the drivers for your SCSI raid werent properly installed and that was what was freezing our computer. We do alot of live production, and we pull PNG and PSD files off of our network for the DSK and anytime we connect to the network Im afraid because we have no protection.

ted
05-14-2004, 11:00 AM
I have the full Norton SystemWorks installed on all our systems and have NOT found it to be a problem at all. (Just my experience).

I would NEVER have my system connected to the web without it. There are just too many smart Arseholes with nothing better to do.

We did have a Virus get into our system a few years back and it took weeks and a lot of money to rid it off our network!:mad:

TRCC
05-14-2004, 11:02 AM
exactly, there are too many people out there just waiting for the chance. Thats why I thought the supplier telling me No virus software whatsoever was a little strange.

Jim Capillo
05-14-2004, 12:41 PM
With the glut of cheap, fast computers on eBay, there is really no excuse for not grabbing one for a couple hundred dollars and dedicating it as the web machine. I use my old Toaster host as the web browser now and I either transfer files by the network or on CD. The VT machine never sees the web directly - it is a simple matter to switch off the DSL modem while the VT is on the LAN transferring files.

TRCC
05-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Thats exactly what we would do, is just transfer files of the network, but with all of the pinging and such because its a large corperation we would never use it for the net.

Ivan
05-14-2004, 11:22 PM
Just ran into a bad virus on a VT system that is also used for email. Didn't have a virus package on it and I am not in favor of having one on because unless you keep it up to date 100% of the time it is often useless against the latest attacks. If the virus does not fit the defenition the first thing it will do is turn off any virus software that you have. The next thing it will do is make it so you cannot access any anti-virus sites. This one made it so I could not access Norton, McCafee, or FSecure. Any attempt to open RegEdit or the task manager failed and these were imediately closed. The only thing that worked, and it worked very well, was going to Panda and doing an online scan of the system. Now any attachments are downloaded to a folder and he goes to Panda online to scan them before they are opened.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

Ivan

bornsmart
05-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Has anyone had any expericence with McAfee Virus Scan? McAfee is what our company uses. I have had it installed for several months now with no apparent problems. We disabled "On Access Scanning" on the video arrays.

I have had problems in the last month or so with a "No Video signal present. Potential driver lockup" error message. Our reseller has suggested that we upgrade to the Windows XP, which we are in the process of doing. They think will solve the above error message.

The reseller also came back from NAB with the message that Anti virus programs must not be installed on the Video Toaster.

Obviously from other posts here, that is probably not the case but they all refer to Norton. If anyone has experience with McAfee, please let me know...

Jerry

SBowie
05-18-2004, 08:26 AM
I have run Norton in the past, and am currently running MacAfee. My impression is that the latter is the less intrusive, but that's entirely subjective. I can't really say I have had noticeable issues with either.

Bobt
05-18-2004, 12:55 PM
At work we had issues with virus scanners and databases.
It was going out and sniffing the temp files created by Acess
we were writting onto our network drives. This caused
coruption of the files. There are some notes about this on
only a couple of sites. Seems like there are things the virus
people dont want you to know.
I HATE things that dont let you turn them off and Virus scanners
are exactly like that. I told Norton not to run unless I manually
start it. What happens when I get an email? Norton pops up.
Same with McAfee. I dont know any longer what makes a good
virus program. But the 2 main ones are too nosey and dont
configure well.

Bob

Paul Lara
05-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by bornsmart
Has anyone had any expericence with McAfee Virus Scan? McAfee is what our company uses. I have had it installed for several months now with no apparent problems.

The reseller...came back from NAB with the message that Anti virus programs must not be installed on the Video Toaster.

Jerry, I have had McAfee VShield installed on my VT system for years, with no ill effect.

That said, it's always advisable to run as few background applications as possible, to maximize available CPU cycles and RAM.

wvp
05-19-2004, 05:21 PM
JERRY --
the "No Video signal present. Potential driver lockup" error message you got has nothing to do with your operating system. It is a problem that apparently has been fixed with the VT3 - update 3 patch. However, you MUST run the core updater (you can find this in the VT folder in the start menu).
This error was frequent, practically constant before I did this. Afterwards I have seen it once (so far).

As for antivirus. If you must connect your VT to the internet, then you must use antivirus software and deal with any issues, period. If you are connecting to internet I would only do so for streaming and perhaps updating programs. I would NEVER use this computer to access any kind of email programs.
If you want to transfer files only - safest solution is to do so with a USB thumb drive or CD's.
I wonder though if it is possible to block internet access (Zone Alarms firewall?) and just allow specific intranetwork access?, hmmm.