PDA

View Full Version : File Extensions (non-LW)

winged-cat
05-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Not really a LW question, but the people here are the most helpful forum I know.

I've noticed recently in my IE that when saving a jpeg image from a site that it keeps defaulting to the extension JPE - never did this beofre, and only seems to have started up in the last week.

I know good troubleshooting is to ask "when did you notice it, and what have you changed" - and I can't answer either of those very well. At first I thought it might have been a particular site I was at, but it seems to happen at every site now (even sites i've built and KNOW the files are .JPG). Also, if you right-click and go to properties within a page, the info states it is a JPG, but when saving it will still default to JPE.

Just been rather puzzling as I can't find a place to change the setting.

freedik
05-13-2004, 11:58 AM
yeh that's a weird problem and a weird place to ask, but what the heck.
What's the type of image when you open its properties(Adobe photoshop JPEG image for example... in worst case scenario :P)? I mean what program does your windows associate JPG with?

brap
05-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Try deleting your Temp Files (Tools-Internet Options) I found that I have to do this when IE starts defaulting to .bmp for no aparent reason.

MiniFireDragon
05-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Open up My Computer

(Windows 2000 and I think XP)
In the window click on
Tools>Folder Options

Click in File Types tab and scroll down until you find jpe and Remove it.

In windows 98 it is under View>Folder Options

If you ever screw up your file associations you can erase them from this list. Add a few. When you right lick on a file and click "Open With" there is a little check box for always use this program this is the window it gets set in.

Hope that works.

Silkrooster
05-13-2004, 04:19 PM
Usually if IE is defaulting to jpe file format, that usually means that the image on the web site is using that format. I find a lot of jpeg images on the net defaulting to jpeg rather than jpg. When a file is saved to one of the other formats it is ok to rename the extention to jpg. Like the previous person said yes you can delete the extention from the list, however you may find some programs behaving very weird afterwards. On Windows 98 reassociating jpeg and jpg could leave IE without a way to display images, its been awhile, however I think jpe or jpeg is the extention that IE uses for displaying images. This could have been a bug in that version of IE. So it may or may not apply to XP.
So when deleting that extention, write down all the settings for that extention, then delete. This way you can put it back if something goes wrong.